Making a tuned pipe...SERIOUS POWER!

Hey Just for kicks,

Where abouts in MI are you from?...I have relatives there (Clinton Township)....Are you stopping in Charlottesville or just passing through?..If you're here for a bit bring a degree wheel and we can start this pipe...HA...OK I have to ask....Are your riding your bike through here?...Go for the long distance record!

Andrew

I'm not far from clinton township, I'm in pontiac.

We'd be in the blazer and it's looking like it would be a long trip in that so the bike will be at home:(.

I hope to purchase something that is about due north of you and if it works out I'll be stopping just long enough to pick it up and then drive the wife out to see the ocean, she's never seen an ocean.:)

How long does it take to drive to michigan from there? I'm guessing between 7-10 hours.

ok, here's the deal...

i'm but a few days away from having my lab-engine available for tear-down.

someone's gonna have to define the dimensions needed, and the method of measurement, in very simple layman's terms.

just give me a simple one-by-one list, and i'll do my best. KISS (if you don't know what that means, you're not stoopid enuff yet)

ps-the engine will be a dax 70

HI,

Ohhh....I can hardly wait....I assume you have some calipers to do the measuring?..I don;t know how to read them so I cheated and bought some calipers with a digital readout!....As far as guiding you through the # needed I would be happy to try to help you with that...I am not necessarily an expert on this either but I do have a general / vague knowledge and what I don't know, A friend down the street runs an auto repair shop so I'm sure he could help. One of the crucial things we will need are the precise figures (in degrees) for the opening and closing of the exhaust ports because...this may be actually the most important figures to have so a degree wheel is a must),....Getting the #'s is hard to describe but I would be happy to try to talk you through it....My Cell # is 434-760-6924...Let me know when you want to try to get the #'s....my best / most free time is Sundays (usually early afternoon).

Andrew

Oops...I almost forgot...I am still waiting for my helper to bring his old engine back so maybe I can double check and try to get some #'s too....Very important to have accurate #''s for an optimum pipe....anything that is too far off (I'm not 100% sure of the allowable tolerances) will negate potential benefits of a tuned pipe because the pressure waves literally have mere milliseconds to "supercharge" the engine when the engine is at speed...

Andrew

i'm educated in mechanical drafting, way back when you had to sharpen your own lead...i know a bit about determining angles & i'm adept at accuracy.

what i'll need is "set the piston to exactly here on the port" or "measure from here to here" kind of directions.

i'll let you know when i'm ready...if you'd like, you could start posting the set of needed dimensions in 1, 2, 3 fashion, maybe others would like to have the parameters anyway, so they can have a look at their own engine.

Hey all,

Sorry for not getting here sooner (lost the thread)....Hope you had a good trip....I meant to tell you it takes us 12 hrs to Detroit vicinity from Charlottesville (stops for food & breaks etc adds time)....

Augi, I started measuring the innards of my helpers disassembled engine....Love to compare #'s tho in case his engine is far out of spec....could average our numbers....I'll write back soon since I will be busy with work the next day or so
(haven;t won the lottery yet so still ave to grind out some long days!)...

Andrew

Back