Making and Burning Ethanol

CNG would be an awesome fuel. But there are serious drawbacks when using it in a car, especially if you want to convert an existing car. The tanks cost thousands of dollars, and have to be re-certified every 10-15 years. For an older vehicle like mine (A very common and comparably inexpensive vehicle to convert to any alternative fuel) it would cost on the close order of $5,000. Cars and trucks made after 1998 cost over twice that much to convert, because the conversion needs to work with the OBD-II. (There was OBD-II before 1998, but the EPA says a vehicle that new, it has to work together.)
I personally would not put a conversion kit on my truck...the ones I have seen look to be built really cheaply.

I have just been thinking of using CNG to power a plug-in hybrid generator.
I wouldn't think a plant built just for powering a gen would consume that much fuel...:confused:
Mercedes e-cell plus uses a 67hp turbo 3 cyl and gets 370 mile range....avg of 62 mpg....first 60 miles use no fuel....but yes....its a concept.
CNG tanks take up more space than fuel tanks which would have to fit in a battery stuffed car...:sick:
Recap....expensive CNG equipment with expensive batteries and expensive electric motor and controller....:sick:

Just have to wait for the virus battery to take off...... :unsure:

Either way....the USA justs needs 10-15% of the cars on the road to be hybrids, then it will make an impact on gas prices so I can fill my ski up....it burns ~20 gallons in about 3 hours :devilish:
DSCN5033.jpg

Last edited:
Back