Exhaust Making high temperature exhaust gaskets

Thank you fastboy9, i was under the impression i could just use the gasket maker silicone. I will now go ahead and cut out some "cork/rubber" gasket material and use it WITH the sealer/gasket maker. That thought crossed my mind but I need someone to verify it.

I will take my muffler off now, again, and do this the right way! hopefully.. lol..

At this point my engines exhaust bolts are getting slightly stripped and i think they are going to fall out! I need to find out more about removing them and replacing them with sound replacements.

Thank you for quickly helping me with this,, i can now proceed. Hope riding is going well in Essex! peace from northcarolina, nik.

Thanks man! ye I've had my exhaust bolts on and off about 50 times and it looks like they have had enough, ridings all right here! gotta stay under the radar though, plus weathers always horrible so i think north carolina must be better!

One thing though ... not sure if that cork/rubber material will withstand the heat, give it a go though should be ok. Be nice to hear the results
Fastboy

I just went to put that exhaust gasket on and my BOLT came right out of the exhaust on the block! Doh!

So, now I have no choice, i have to fix this, I have heard about getting 6mm thread and using locktight,,, but i have no idea how this is done...

I looked around this forum and had a tough time locating instructions on replacing bolts and which ones are best to use as replacements. also, I have read that locktight is a good idea, which makes sense. Now that this bolt just decided to become loose.

so, i need to head to the store for "6mm thread"? is that right? ... and how in the world do you tighten the bolt into the hole without squishing the threads while screwing it in the block?

Much thanks for all your help~

To tighten the threaded rod into the cyl., put 2 nuts on one end of the threaded rod and tighten them to each other and use the outer most nut to tighten the threaded rod into the cyl. Then simply back off the nuts and your done. Hope the explaination is clear enough.

too bad this thread says nothing about making high temp gaskets! I need to know how to make them. anybody have good solutions for an exhaust gasket?
The old moderator, audidog, once made a suggestion of using Permatex 1A on each side of a thin cut-out from a cracker or cereal box. He said he had no problems after several months. I will be trying this before the end of the month to fix inefficiencies of my Chinese 2-stroke.

EDIT: Also, another member once said: "Wise man once say: If you don't use Loctite, you could lose your nuts."

another way to get the studs back in is to notch the end with a hacksaw or dremel and then use a screw driver to drive them in (or out, if they're sheared off at the head or something) .
i use the permatex copper stuff on my bike on the exhaust without any gasket or other materials, and it seems to work well, it's been fine for 5 months, no apparent sign of damage. I just covered both manifolds evenly and thinly and then bolted together. I didn't know you were supposed to put another kind of gasket in as well, but it hasn't been detrimental.

Thanks for the tips Demosthenese, I have used the "double-nut" method to tighten up and replace my exhaust bolts. They needed changed out from all the muffler on-off i was doing changing out "exhaust gaskets".

So I used loc-tight and put in the new ones. (btw, the local hardware store only had "standard" threaded rod, I had to search around for a 6mm bolt that i could hacksaw the top off of! it worked ;) ) I screwed in the new threaded rod and felt complete.. zen. (replaced both)

Then i cut out a corkrubber gasket and used it with RTV ultra copper, i hand tightened, then this morning after it dried overnight, I used hand wrench to tighten up fully. I noticed that some of the gasket material "squeezed" out a little as i tightened it up. This made me wonder if it will be anymore than a short lived gasket. ... I had put just RTV silicone on it and decided to take it off because i didnt believe it would be enough alone...
but, Demosthenese , i will surely try just RTV ultra copper permatex as soon as this corkrubber rtv ultracopper permatex combo blows out. ill be interested to see if how long it will actually last.

hello, I have been riding around with the new exhaust bolts and RTV silicone as the Gasket, and it has been good.

The muffler is now flush against the engine block and the ultra copper RTV has been holding up well. I had to take the corkrubber gasket w/ rtv out because it blew out.

From now on i will just be using some RTV and making sure that all muffler bolts are tight! The gasket material seemed to make the muffler shake around some which caused the blow out of the gasket and loosening of the bolts.

I recommend this setup ;) no gasket, rtv high temp silicone and tighten those bolts up.

Thank you fastboy9, i was under the impression i could just use the gasket maker silicone. I will now go ahead and cut out some "cork/rubber" gasket material and use it WITH the sealer/gasket maker. That thought crossed my mind but I need someone to verify it.

I will take my muffler off now, again, and do this the right way! hopefully.. lol..

At this point my engines exhaust bolts are getting slightly stripped and i think they are going to fall out! I need to find out more about removing them and replacing them with sound replacements.

Thank you for quickly helping me with this,, i can now proceed. Hope riding is going well in Essex! peace from northcarolina, nik.

DONT USE hardened steel bolts(black ones) they snap, had one in the motor mount snap. The cheap ones are better because they Ben before breaking.

Back