Exhaust Making high temperature exhaust gaskets

S

smurfer

Okay here are the pics enjoy!

EDIT: smurfer is having probs with his pics, stay tuned. augidog

@ try1897 I PM'd you so check your mail box. I'm sending you the gaskets today by priority mail.

@ Tom yes these are way better than cardboard they won't get eatin by gas or fall apart.

Thank you Smurfer the man. I will install them ASAP. Thanks a bunch and I'll return the favor as soon as I can afford to.....Your help is greatly appreciated..... Tom in WV

Someone mentioned RTV high temp - I'll let you guys know if I get good results with thatI think my engine is getting louder because all my gaskets are deteriorating...

Smurfer , The gaskets arived today . I'll install them after the holiday. Let me comend you on a job well done . You cut those gaskets perfectly. Good job my man!! Tom in WV....P.S. Thanks Again TRY

try1897 said:
Smurfer , The gaskets arived today . I'll install them after the holiday. Let me comend you on a job well done . You cut those gaskets perfectly. Good job my man!! Tom in WV....P.S. Thanks Again TRY

Glad it worked out for you enjoy!

too bad this thread says nothing about making high temp gaskets! I need to know how to make them. anybody have good solutions for an exhaust gasket? i have heard of people cutting them out of sheets of aluminum.. but what works best??? thanks. nik

here is what i am using just for reference... its a gasket maker silicone. any one else use this before?

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...mum_Temperature_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

http://www.permatex.com/images/DisplayImage.asp?210|/images/ProductPhotos/81878.jpg

Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. Highest operating temperatures for 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75°F to 700°F (-59°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifolds/ headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

Go to a car spares shop (i think you have AutoZone?), buy some gasket material. Trace the shape of the flange on the gasket material and using a small hobby knife, cut out the exhaust hole and bolt holes. Using some permatex gasket maker and coat both sides of your new gasket. Install, nuts on exhaust studs, and ride!

Sheet metal gaskets
If your going to make them out of aluminium/copper sheet then the way i did it was to use engineers blue to paint over it, then put the flange on top of the sheet and measure the diameters for the holes, next using a compass, scribe the circles on to the sheet. I know that the bolt holes are 6mm but not sure about the exhaust port. If you dont have engineers blue then just use a pencil, next drill out the holes, I used different size bits for each hole. The exhaust port hole might be difficult so maybe use a smaller bit and drill a few holes in the gap then file the edges to give you the right shape.

Then I would suggest using some gasket sealant, put some on either side of your gasket, then put the gasket on (between exhaust pipe and engine) and allow the sealant to properly harden before you ride it, about 5 hours should be plenty. I was using a copper sheet gasket and to be honest it isnt that good at all compared to one made from proper gasket material.

Last edited:
Back