Making it safe.

I am trying to make my ride safe with the lights etc. needed. I have a diode headlight coming and have mounted bags to contain a motorcycle battery to run stuff They have rear diodes for turn signals. I had a pair of little diode front signals and am trying to make a mount. So far I used a 5/8" O.D. copper tube 12" long with copper caps on the ends drilled to contain the nuts. The wires exit through an oblong 1/4" wide X 3/8" long slot in the middle and wires will be protected with shrink tubing where they exit. I will make a plate to anchor with the handlebar clamp and mount the tube with 2 U-bolts. I have a little turn switch coming that is supposed to contain a flasher but at less tan $2.00 I am skeptical. I already have one that is supposed to have a horn and light button as well but as yet have not figured out the wiring. Maybe the light switch is bi-stable and I need to push harder. At any rate, if I use it, I will need a flasher unit. I can rig a TI NE556 dual timing chip from RS with resistors and capacitors to determine the on and off times. The output doesn't care if they are diodes or filaments. A pair of crappy mirrors are also on the way. I may install a micro-switch over the slack run of the peddle chain to run the brake light.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• China girl with bags 001.JPG
    China girl with bags 001.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 392
tbh, the only thing that will really make us visible are those unsightly neon yellow safety jackets or vests... :eek:

I avoid heavily trafficked streets and will usually take the path less traveled to get where I'm goin. I hardly ever ride at night either. When I do have to turn against traffic I use a hand signal. This conveys my intention quite well ;)

I can see how your safety mods would be beneficial at night. What about the added weight of those hard bags and a motorcycle battery though? They make a lot of really bright LED headlights and taillights that are rechargeable.

tbh, the only thing that will really make us visible are those unsightly neon yellow safety jackets or vests

Those would help out day or night too, especially if they have big reflective strips on em'

I find THE most effective way to avoid a collision is a bright front strobe light like this for ~$25 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Bicyc...461601502&sr=8-9&keywords=cree+bicycle+lights
51%2BtsFc3-xL._SX425_.jpg

There are dozens of others but they all have the same basics.

I don't worry about getting rear-ended in daylight, it's those coming towards me I worry about.
Pulling out or turning in front you are what get you, and a strobe sure as hell gets their attention.
I have experienced many people slam on their brakes because they actually seen me and judged my speed because of that.

I rate that up with really good brakes and a helmet as a top safety measure.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back