Man Killed in Crash of Motorized Bike

Pugdaddy

Local time
5:39 AM
That was the headline of the article my neighbor brought over to show me this morning. Here is the article:

A Gary man died Sunday afternoon when he lost control of his motorized bicycle and crashed a few blocks from his home.
Witnesses told police that Everett Neely, 68, had turned the corner at 20th Ave. and Chase Street when he fell off the scooter and landed on his face.
Neely was pronounced dead on the scene.
Roberts said the pavement was wet but there was no standing water in the area where the crash occurred.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, folks. Please be careful and be smart and always wear your helmet and glasses.

May the Good Lord be with him and his family.

Great...I hope this does not get the region's constabulary up in arms about our little conveyances.

Prayers for the family-

ok, its in everyones interest to be safe out their, but whats up with the reporting saying he lost control of his "motorized bicycle"and then "fell of his scooter" which was it, we all know how vastly different these two machines are...

if it was a scooter, some bad PR, but if it was a motorized cycle remember we are all at the mercy of the road, drive safe and carefull everyone, and be careful on those wet roads out their ( its been 3 to 4 years since i have seen a wet road out here and if it does rain, dries up in about 15mins INSANE)

That is very sad news. Prayers and condolences go out to family and loved ones.

I think you will need to link this article as it is pertinent to the MB community.

Sure has been a bevy of accidents lately. More riders, more "bikes".

Yeah the scooter thing.......what's up with that?

What's up with that is that thw NW Ind. press doesn't know its....let's just say that I'm sure they do not know the difference. Just based on linguistics, I would guess an actual motorized bike of some sort was involved. Why? The term "scooter" is a common term that one without a knowledge base would be expected to apply to any low-powered 2 wheeled vehicle- not accurate, but you can see someone not in the know using it. However, the term "motorized bicycle" is just the opposite. It is not a common term and is something you would not expect to be used unless there they were told that exact term. Because "motorized bicycle" was used, i expect that something fitting that description was at issue- either what we know as a MB or a moped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what happened to me - wet road - front brake and or turn and down you go.. sounds like a brake lock up since it appears he went down head first... I was luckier but not by much.

condolences to the family and his friends.

Helmet and suitable clothing please! I always wear a riding hat as a helmet and generally jeans & a denim jacket top... means they will take the road before my flesh has to..

Jemma xx

Back