market for 4stroke kits?

would you buy a 4-stroke kit ?

• Total voters
Whizzers in bikes

Hi thaks for the kind reply, I will try to dig up some pics of Whizzers in bicycle frames that I've seen, so you can see what they might look like. I will start a new thread for this, over in Heratage Lane, as the bikes I will feature are probably all antique's

Mike

hi mike...yes, your posts are always well thought out and usually have some merit (imo, of course), or are at the least entertaining. i've never been sorry to see you here :)

a quick question, were you put off that we grouped whizzers in with the heritage of the sport? because offense wasn't our intention...we just needed to encompasse as much as possible in as small a main directory as we could. heck, i felt i was complimenting the whizzer when i did that.

so don't misunderstand me, either...my personal point of focus is the 48cc ceiling on a viable means of social movement (pun intended) & it's partly because i totally agree with your assertion that we've had it too good for too long here in the united states.

if i hit the lottery i'd build the most kick-butt whizzer a guy could want, but it would still be a whizzer and therefore not my idea of "the solution."

so, i can love 'em all but still have a preference...right now i prefer the 2-stroke happy-time.

what would i prefer to prefer? a 48cc 4-stroke happy-time built with whizzer-level quality. the size alone would account for affordability, and by sheer numbers could force eventual acceptance as the real deal.

i don't think whizzer is interested in appealing to the "everyman" and i completely understand and respect their assuredness in their product.

i do think the country's gonna need a simple light-bicycle-ly (not scooter or moped) production motoredbike, and i do believe we could help define that vehicle someday.

anyways, i like 'em all! since taking on MBc & striving for comprehensive coverage of the motorsport, i've been able to happily practice the old addage "if you don't have something nice to say..." when it comes to all our sub-genres. truly, i like 'em all...

and, even if there was one i didn't, you wouldn't know about it, because those guys & gals are my buds, man!

8)

Whizzers and Heratage

Hi Augi, all is well, and I think that putting the Whizzers in that special page is a very good idea. Even tho we are true Motor Bicycles, the company started in CA in 1939, and was then, and is now the longest running Motor Bicycle company in the US. (easy to figure when there are no others here now). Many of the things we do with the Whizzer do not translate over to work on the 2-strokes, ie we are belt.....not chain, cams....not port timing, and we have electrics, which fortuantely, rarely give any trouble.

One thing I dont understand in your logic, is why you don't think that a Whizzer is within the boundries of the everyman transportation needs?

We only hold 8oz of crankcase oil, burn relatively clean on the cheapest regular gas, and are listed by reliable sources to have a gas mileage of 120 per gallon. This figure is inflated by the usual method that is used by auto and motorcycle manufacturers, not by people, who in the beginning, advertised the SpitFire at "Over 200 MPG".

I agree that the price is a hurdle, but, it may be offset by several factors, including, Long Life (Quenton has over 5,000 miles on one that he regularly races) extreme reliability, ( mine starts fine even in pouring rain, and sadly she lives outside) also, day and night performance is assured by a very good electrical system. The engine has a stunning, tho overbuilt bottom end, and the whole thing is very easy to service.

Another factor, that comes to mind, is that many of the riders own more than one 2-stroke, and at that point are close to spending in the market of the Whizzer kit, and, in addition, some buy very pricey bicycles to put them on.

Don't worry, we will not allow the "Good Reverend KnowsAlot" to preach here! (grin)

Hopefully you'll get a chance to ride Rif's bike as I am too far away for you to easily ride mine.

Mike

mike, the sticking point, for me & my "plan," is the 138cc displacement...it's a motorcycle, legally, almost everywhere...so it leaves some legal hurdles out there that can't be overcome by many who'll be needing
to downsize to survive. if the same goal of mobilization can be reached at 1/3 the engine size, then i
say "there's the solution!" i'm expressing my personal opinion, of course.

again, i completely love whizzers...they're marvy machines, no doubt. i believe they do fit the bill for the high-end everyman class.

when i speak of everyman mobility, i specifically address the 48cc limit that could very well be our best ally in a movement to overcome some very self-defeating legislation (which is one thing this country still does produce, in abundance)...

helping to develop a 4-stroke happy-time (meaning happy displacement, happy cost, happy simplicity) will get us another 500 members/riders, then another 500...

so, it's really apples & oranges with us 2 on this issue but it's still all fresh produce, and we're not so far apart in our long-term thinking at all, imo.

and yes...a ride on rif's machine is highlighted on my "things to do before i die" list, i've seen it in the box & been wanting to experience it ever since 8)

btw-don't be surprised if i decide to ask for directions to your place someday, i've seen enough of the coast highway from a motoredbike to want to see more :)

I am glad I started this thread !!! :D
it HAS gotten a little off topic tho :rolleyes:
but I am enjoying the debate :p

my feelings on whizzers are that they are very well built, but because of displacement, are not for me
I can't get a license because of my vision, so I need something legal.. ie: under 49cc
I am not knocking whizzers in any way or form, just stating my position

I too think mike is a valuable asset to our forum, and welcome any/all posts from him (not that every member isn't important :rolleyes:haha)

my intent with starting this thread was to kickstart a lively debate on 4strokes ... it seems to have worked :p

it's all good, no doubt...

the 4-stroke market hasn't even been defined yet, so this topic is bound to wander all over the spectrum while we figure it out :)

for my part, i'm not trying to say "apples or oranges" but "apples and oranges"...ya dig?

Well, I got my kit today and I've had my engine for some time....we'll see how well this works out.

thoughts on the 4 stroke kit

Hey/Ho
I put my first 4STROKE KIT (grubee) together last week. I had to do a bit of tweaking. The valves were tight. The bolts were ****. I replaced all bolts.
The gearbox is (was) very loud. I ran the bike about 3 days (50miles) with
the gearbox dry. I added 90w gear oil. The more I run this kit the better it gets. It just blows away a 2STROKE bike with way more POWER !! I'm going to take her on a long run this week. Just take your time breaking the kit in.
later:)

Back