Mark's new MB

Having built my first MB out of a Trek 820 mountain bike, I've learned a few things, and applied them to my new machine, a bright orange Moon Dog that's been sitting in the garage screaming "Motorize Me!" for about 2 months.

I used the old engine from the Trek. It's a BoyGoFast "80" cc engine, 44 tooth sprocket. All of the hardware such as the throttle twist grip and the locking clutch lever broken when installing it on the Trek, so I've used old bicycle brake handles for the clutch and throttle. I like the brake handle throttle better. The engine was cast in such a way that I could fit it around the frame member, so there was no need to drill the frame - I like that, I worry that drilling the frame could make it weak. I had to remove the chain guard, since the motor sits so low. I think I could cut it around with the tin snips. I cut out part of the rear fender with tin snips, for my chain to go through. I also got some small angle iron, and drilled it for fender mounts.

For lighting, I have a flashing red LED light under the seat, which is actually very bright and visible. The front light is interesting as you can see from the pics - it's a rechargeable spotlight, it has a halogen 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight, and a smaller LED spotlight built into it. The LED part will allegedly work for 80 hours on one charge, no info on how long the halogen will stay lit. I've been using it like the "bright" or "dim" feature on a car or motorcycle. The on switch for the light can be locked back, and there is a switch at the back that can be operated with gloves and frozen fingers to change from one to the other. Cost me $19 at wal-mart.

Here are the pics... Comments? Tips? Constructive Criticism?

-Mark

Attachments

• S3010046.JPG
    S3010046.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 487
  • S3010053.JPG
    S3010053.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 356
  • S3010048.JPG
    S3010048.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 327
  • S3010047.JPG
    S3010047.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 467
Tinker, Looks like your ready to go. Ive always liked the look of the Moon Dog.
I have your same spotlight from wallyworld and use it camping. Full "on" I get
24 minutes. (When it dies it goes fast) The extra LED light goes a long, long time.
(worth $19)
I also like your throttle mod. Over all it just plain ol' looks like a comfortable sporty ride.
Great job.... and enjoy!

Thanks for the comments... Riding this machine, same engine different bike, I see a huge difference. Much more comfortable, less vibration, and it doesn't have the "twitchy" handling that the mountain bike had. Most important, it has good brakes! I think I will put a basket on the front, Wal-mart has some black ones that match the bike great. I spent most of christmas day riding around, my other half was kind enough to buy me some insulated coveralls. Perfect for riding the MB on a cold day.

The thing I wonder about is: the engine definitely doesn't vibrate as much on the moon dog. Is that due to the heavier frame? I checked the mounting hardware before every ride on the Trek, so I know it wasn't loose.

-Mark

It might have something to do with the density of the steel. Perhaps even the composition of the two different alloys.

I've forgotten the physicist's actual term, maybe something like "sympathetic vibrations".
But it could be that the Trek was "in harmony" with the speeds that the motor operated at. And maybe the Moon Dog is not.

That's an interesting idea bluegoatwoods, I hadn't thought about it resonating. The trek is made of cro-moly, straight drawn not double butted. It has a different tone when tapped than the moon dog, so you've probably got the answer.

-Mark

Good job on the bike!!! Looks very nice in bright orange!

*I also find that a heavier bike rides smoother and vibrates less.

ZnsaneRider - airless tire question: I was looking at no-more-flats yesterday, I'd have to get different tires to fit them. (Mine are too wide) Would it be worth the cost? How easy are they to install?

-Mark

Front fender alert

Hello Mark, that's a nice looking bike. Please, for your health and the bike, research what I and others have written about those single-braced fenders. The results are devastating.

Mike

Back