Massive Clutch Failure

P

Pofke13LT

Well more like moped failure.. I finished my bike and took it for a test drive, chain hopped off and got lodged in wheel, wheel locked up and engine died.. Dragged the thing home, put a new wheel on, rebuilt the handlebars so the damn clutch lever would work, but no matter what I did it would always stay in "motor mode" and never let me pedal...
Took apart some stuff and the clutch disc is TOTALLY shot.. Every single pad is completely smooth... So where can I order a replacement clutch disc?? Its an 80cc simpson motor, from what I can tell.. I found on simpsons site that they sell complete clutch kits for $85, but all i need is the disc... I mean I paid $185 for the whole shebang, im not gonna spend another $85 on a replacement disc.. :eek:

fix it

Pull your pressure plate and rough up your pads with a file or sand paper. Replace pressure plate and add a few turns to make more pressure. You should be fine...Enjoy the ride..

The strange thing here is that you said your clutch plates are shot because they are totally smooth, but it's always stuck in "motor mode".

If your clutch plates were no good, the motor would never engage. You have a different problem because your motor will not disengage.

Blaze is right, re-adjust the whole works and see what happens. Your clutch plates shouldn't be shot because the chain came off. Did it damage something else?

Blaze said:
The strange thing here is that you said your clutch plates are shot because they are totally smooth, but it's always stuck in "motor mode".

If your clutch plates were no good, the motor would never engage. You have a different problem because your motor will not disengage.

good point Blaze.
maybe your clutch cable needs adjusted. Cables stretch & cable housings compress. Try pushing the clutch arm on the engine in with your hand to see if it allows your rear wheel to roll. If so....adjust your clutch cable, & you should be good to go.

i see

Alright, at least we are making positive progress! Okay... I tried pushing the clutch arm with my hand and in both positions the motor is engaged. Im saying to hell with the original crappy locking clutch lever, and either ordering one of those fancy ones online or using an old brake lever... As far as adjusting the clutch disc, how do I know how much to adjust it? Do I just give it a few turns and test it? Or is there an easier/more precise way of doing it?

Thanks a lot guys. :)

Allright... Im out in the garage right now messing with the clutch... Ive made positive and negative progress...

Positive progress: I can engage and disengage the engine by switching the clutch arm with my hand.
Negative progress: It works backwards. Engine is engaged when clutch lever is mashed down, and disengage when it is in the upright position.
What gives? :mad:

806_Picture_220_1.jpg

You guys are telling me that THAT doesnt need replacing?? It looks mighty fudged up... But then again im new to this...

Heres the deal: I got the clutch to engage and disengage properly, only thing is once I go for a test run as soon as I drop the clutch it just grinds the clutch, because theres nothing of those pads left.. So then I go back to the garage and if I tighten it one more notch then the engine is always engaged.. There is no in between. Is there any way to replace just those pads or do I have to get the whole new disc.. Or is there another option?
806_2_1.jpg

anyone have any directions on how to get it all apart? I can't get the brass colored plate off the thing...

Back