Massive Electromagnetic interference from Magneto or CDI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY most favored parts of my body sit very near this EM source.
I listen to my cellphone mp3 player while riding and I don't get any interference.

My metal shield was also a huge waste of time. Did not help one bit. The only thing left for me to try is a resistance spark plug. I might just try adding a resistor in line with the cable. 3-5K ohms should do the same job.

I'm just glad I found out before I brought my MP4 player, PDA, GPS, DS lite or anything else near the bike! Now if only I could leave my prostate home I'd feel a little better about it.

I think people are getting a bit to worried about the CDi's interference. It really isn't likely to harm your health. EM interference causes health problems under high voltage power lines ETC. Having a ham radio transmitter in the area would create more EM radiation. Are all the HAM radio enthusiasts dropping dead because of EM, or is Ham rado enthusiasts incidence of EM radiation related disease any higher than the rest of the population. I don't think so.

BSA

Just to be sure, lining your underwear with aluminum foil couldn't hurt. But it could lead to a rash.:D

What about trying to find a better CDI unit than what we have? There has to be other CDIs available that would be cleaner electrically as well as having better shielding.

Personally, I only had problems with a wireless speedo. The CDI cooked that pretty quickly. I returned it and then got a cheap $9 Schwinn wired digitial speedo which has been working great for around 100 miles now. I do keep the wiring away from the CDI unit and have it run entirely on the front leading edge of my fork down to the sensor so as to maximize the shielding effect of my frame.

A good alternative to a CDi would be good old contact points, coil, and condenser, like the russian engines. It would make it easier to mess around with retarding the ignition ETC.

BSA

There are no documented cases of health problems caused by cell phones or other electromagnetic devices (other than extremely high frequency devices like microwaves.) Nor has any testing which purported to show a link between health problems and electromagnetic devices ever been able to be reproduced by independent testing.

I looked around and there are lots of options for us for aftermarket ignitions. They aren't cheap, but if you want to have a clean ignition system and are worried about EMI and RFI from the cheap CDI ignition, they would work:

http://bcmaengines.com/Ignitions.htm

These are made for model aircraft, so would have to be clean as far as interference goes in order to function in such a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back