Master link derailing chain?

MarkM

Local time
1:39 PM
Just finished my very first build and I can't keep my chain on the sprocket long enough to try and fire up my engine. It keeps coming off the chain wheel. I start off well with the correct tension. I pedal my bike, dump the clutch and the chain comes off the wheel and the chain tensioner gets twisted down 180 degrees. Then I have to dig the chain out from between the spokes and the chain wheel. I've done this three times and can't figure out how to keep the chain on trac. :confused:

I notice that the master link makes a noise or bumps as it goes through the tensioner and on to the chain wheel and counter sprocket. Could the master link be a problem? Appreciate any tips, thanks, Mark M :cool:

Chain: #415

Last edited:
Is your rear sprocket chromed? If so, I'd grind the chrome off the sprockets. Do this for most of my rides to prevent similar issues.

Also, check to ensure master link is lubed and not binding from being dry.

Yes, the chain wheel is chrome. I'll take your advise and give it a try. I'm also thinking about removing the master link all together.

Happy 4th of July to all! Mark M :)

So you say that the master link bumps when going over the chain tensioner wheel. So you must be able to have the chain rotating when the clutch is disengaged correct? My old 415 chain master link use to bump as well this was no prob. The only reason I changed chains was because the 415 stretches. Are you sure nothing is locked in the motor. I had a chrome rear sprocket, it was never a prob. Please for future reference let us know if grinding the chrome off worked.

As mentioned above -- I think the way to go would be to get a chain tool and remove the master link totally -- might have to add more chain ? -- we don't want these kinds of things happening -- at high speed or any speed -- BUMMER ! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

First I'm going to buy a chain tool to replace the master link with with one of the links I took off. I'll give that a try. Yes there may be an alighnment problem, could be off by an 1/8 of an inch or less.

The smaller chain Idea sounds real good to me. I'm in Fontana, CA. Where can I pick up a #410 chain? Thanks guys for your posts. Your helping me through this. Mark M :D

First I'm going to buy a chain tool to replace the master link with with one of the links I took off. I'll give that a try. Yes there may be an alighnment problem, could be off by an 1/8 of an inch or less.

The smaller chain Idea sounds real good to me. I'm in Fontana, CA. Where can I pick up a #410 chain? Thanks guys for your posts. Your helping me through this. Mark M :D

I ended replacing my masterlink with a normal link. My chain was not derailing, but the pop from the masterlink on the idler drove me up the wall.

Back