Chains Master Link has temper problems

jacob

Local time
1:13 PM
I was riding along at full throttle when the master link just popped off my bike (happy time). Its a 415 chain (i think) and the master link had the clip on the outside of the chain. the open side of the clip was facing backwards to the way the chain goes when going forward, if that makes sense.

Any ideas to why it popped off?

do u know which is the right orientation. ill only have two master links when they do arrive and it takes a few weeks to get new one in so i dont want to lose another one.

top side, open end faces back.

bottom side, open end faces forward.

simplicity? will it slide OFF if its rubbed against a stationary object, or will it be forced ON?

or it could be fine, and its just done it because they like to. if the chain isnt straight it can sometimes create enough side pressure that they get forced off. thats bad and should be fixed!

ive found my 650 always spits the small clip from a certain brand 525 size chain. is fine if i use another brands clip. weird. is fine without the clip at all, due to the pressed sideplates :) something you dont get on pushbikes. be grateful, i guess. nightmare to remove and install!

If it is the standard Chinese chain that comes with the kit another possibility is the link failed rather than come apart.
My first kit had a chain that was already worn out, pins were slightly wobbly in the master link and eventually totally let go, at the worst time possible.

you can get rid of the clip by wrapping 2 turns of safety wire around the groove of each pin

Back