Master Link?

GreenMantis

Local time
12:09 PM
Why can't I find one on my chain? Are the chains that come on new bikes just stamped together without a master link?

Why can't I find one on my chain? Are the chains that come on new bikes just stamped together without a master link?
Master links are dangerous on these bikes, they tend to come apart at higher speeds. Pressed are safer need a chain spliter thoe but cheap enough.

The bike I am working on isn't motorized yet. I'm just starting on it. And I don't have to shorten the chain now, anyway, I found another solution. I didn't really want to do that, anyway. I installed the wide crankset conversion from a one piece crank. The only thing is it came with a 36T, when I had a 44T. I drilled some holes in the 36T, and bolted a 44T onto it, fixed. The 36T would have been way too low, it's geared low enough with the 44T.

Were are you mounting the 44 ? i it's going on the rear, the 36 tooth would be a lot fast. The bigger the sprocket the slower you go.........Curt

seen 36T fail here with all the hills almost every time - hills are too steep to pedal, so folks with 36T just have to walk it up

Pretty sure the sprockets he speaks of is the chainring on the crank, pedal side. He's correct that the larger sprocket up front will give him a higher pedaling speed.

Back