Matty`s 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer

(what you will see in the next few posts is a copypaste dump of an another forum on which I've already started documenting on this build, posts henceforth will be written on this forum platform and will likely make more sense)

This is a project that`s been lingering in the back of my head for years and years but since I don't want to build anything I cannot use in other than restricted areas never went forward with it. That is until I recently learned that if it`s done within a certain set of rules ( <50cc, <1kw, max25km/h assisted) it is in fact totally road legal, and doesn't even require any kind of a registration as in the eyes of the law it is -despite having an internal combustion engine- still considered as a bicycle.

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 01.jpg

This is my starting point, a 24" Jupiter five speed I purchased today for a budget breaking sum of 20 Euros. It`s a bit small but that doesn't matter much as it`ll be cut in two, stretched and modified heavily til I`m done with it. Plans for this project are to, as said, stretch the frame enough to make room for an engine and fabricate a springer style suspension up front. I probly will not make a "drop loop" frame as the engine I will be using is not big enough to warrant one. What comes to the engine I currently have two options. Either I will order one of those motorized bicycle two stroke conversion kits off ebay, take the engine apart and make it right as they`re known to be a bit s**t not even bothering to deburr the canals etc, or take a look at this 50cc kids china ATV engine I happen to have kicking around that has a cracked tranny casing due to a snapped chain and see if I could either mend it or cut it in two and only use the motor part.

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 02.jpg

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 03.jpg

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 04.jpg

Totally in love with the vintage details and the patina of this thing, trying to use as much of the parts originally on the bike to preserve it. And no not going to fret over stuff like it having a non-perioid-correct derailleur transmission as this is a total tongue-in-cheek project since it will not be registered so I can do whatever the f*** I please with it.

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 05.jpg

Looking at this scene made me pause a little, vividly remembering me asking my younger 4yo son "why would I buy you any new toys as the FIRST thing you do with ALL of them is take them apart?!" Made me go ummm... ;D Well to my defense I DO get most of them back together too AND pay for them myself!

Popping into the hardware store tomorrow for some 2x4:s and fittings to make a crude frame jig.

Oh and sorry for any missing A:s, for some reason the button in question seems to not always work on my garage laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
436655f81f50c5e724.jpg

Finally got a chance to go get this N-gin from my mom`s garage today. It looks to be a four stroke, and one of those Chinese "monkey bike" engines although there are a few things that are a bit off about it I`m hoping someone here might be able to clarify...

436655f81f50c67726.jpg

There are a LOT of different places on this engine where to mount it which is good but on this picture you can also see the first little discrepancy to all the other Chinese monkey clones I`ve seen so far: The starter motor is BELOW the cylinder not above it.

436655f81f50c6dc3a.jpg

On this picture you can clearly see the number two: ALL other engines I`ve seen despite being automatic, semi-automatic or fully manual has a gear selector shaft poking through the big hole in the center. On this one there simply isn`t one. This is off a small kids ATV so I`m betting heavily on it being fully automatic but does this also mean this engine doesn`t have a reverse? Not that I`d need one just curious why there isn`t a shift shaft at all.

436655f81f50c734cd.jpg

436655f81f50c7907b.jpg

And here you can quite clearly see why this engine was scrapped; the snapped chain had whiplashed around cracking the sprocket cover in two and forcing the primary shaft backwards cracking the engine casing, so to make this motor right the LEAST I`m going to need is a new left side tranny casing but have no idea what I should be looking for. I did find a couple somewhat promising ones domestically but option one @35eur was sold out and option two was 83eur which is enough to not bother.

Doing a deep dive into this thing tomorrow and see what she`s eaten. You know ANYTHING about these motors spill the beans.

OH! and an another thing... This thing is WIDE.

436655f821278ba995.jpg

Like super wide, in order to get the pedals to even go round the back end I`ll be needing cranks that offset far enough to get 25cm, or 10" between the pedal thread ends. Does sth like that even exist?

Pretty much looks like this one, Gio 50 atv.

Attachments

• 20201010_180139.jpg
    20201010_180139.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 180
those motors are honda clone motors, most likely 50-80cc, but can take a 100-110cc cylinder (in MOST cases)

you could try brazing the case cracks with aluminum rod before you go out and buy one.

if I'm correct it's just a wet centrifugal clutch and a gear reducer unless it's those weird CVT ones.

most likely won't have reverse.

I do have these "chemical welder" rods called Technoweld which is kinda like brazing, might give em a go just so I can say I tried. The whole thing is just a lot of metal to haul around and I'm not entirely sure if I want to use it yet. Probs gonna take it apart today and see if it's rusted/seized inside before making decisions.

Back