Maxed out china girl want to upgrade. Phantom85 or Minirelli ?

Jayraye39

Local time
4:01 AM
I have done every mod possible on the china girl motor. Its maxed out. Top seed 50mph. REVS 8,000 rpm. So im looking for a faster and more reliable motor. Heard bad things about Phantoms version 1&2. Is version 3 better? If so how does it compair to a Minirelli hybrid conversion motor? Which one has better. Top speed, reliability, mod capabilities, and price?

Not really lookin for more speed. Cause cruisin at 35 to 40 mph is where I usually hang out. But I aint gonna lie. If I see a few miles of open road, im gonna hit it. Just want a motor with a much stronger power band and duration strait out the box. Minirelli conversions have been around longer so obviously it has more trial time however the 85s are a chainsaw piston and jug which are very powerful top-end Motors but the reliability of that looks grim. I've been leaning more towards building the minirelli. I just hate taking these motors apart. Just about every time you do something strips out or flat out breaks I could build the minirelli cheaper. However the 85 comes built ready for that 20 min install. Need the advice of the old school on this one.

I've done a lot of reading on both, but I think I would go with a good cast iron street/sport minarelli cylinder kit. Malossi, stage6, plus there is a bunch more good company's. Oh course you would have to build it. I think the P85 is good to, but needs its tinkering around as well. I dont own either, but I would go minarelli hybrid. Quite a few members are running both, I'm sure they will chime in. I think the biggest thing/ most important on either engine is having it tuned right for the break-in period & taking it easy till so.

When I get the need for speed I drink a 6 pack then jump in my Xbox car and play racing games or flight sims. It's so crazy how good modern games look .my china girl is pretty fast .I think I just lucked out with mine it's stock but may do a exhaust mod

You can go from mild to wild on a Minarelli. I have beat the crap out of a cheapo cast iron cylinder Mina and it
hasnt fazed it. I also have a Athena sport kit which is a great runner. I have a little more respect for it. Neither of these builds has been problematic. Its a matter of what you want and $$$$. By all means get or properly balance a crank and use high end bearings as the things are capable of high rpms. Theres good info in the Minarelli builders thread.

For starters, there is no V3. The change to the needle bearing didn't change the version. Mine has the needle bearing and said V2 on the side. It makes no sense, but here we are.

The biggest issue specifically with the Phantom most recently has been the quality.of the cylinder castings when it came to the upper transfers and intake inside the cylinder - both being too wide and causing ring snags. The latest batch of cylinders seems to have resolved this. I would still take the time to clean up the port edges however, just to be safe.

The only other issues you will run into are the same ones you get with all of the engines. Pinched cranks, metal in the crankcase, uneven flanges, etc.

If your current CG goes 50mph it's basically as fast as a stock Phantom. The only big difference will be in the power under the curve. The Phantom makes a ton of lower and mid range power, so it likes to pull very strongly even with smaller rear sprockets. They can pull strongly to 9000rpm or more if you port match the intake and/or up the carb size as well, but being a yd100 bottom end I try not to do.so very often.

The minarelli hybrids are the king of top end power and rpm capability, but won't be as strong down low as a Phantom.

Im a high end type fella I can alwas add a few low end mods to balance the difference. Not bashing my CG their a throw away motor. In 3 years been throgh 3 motors. Due to manufacturing defects, and striped magnetos and jugs. Plus the china alum. Is like pot metal. Super soft.I need something I can gas but still retain durability. SO Adding all the advice on top of my gut feeling. IM GOING WITH RELLI.
thnx guys.

For starters, there is no V3. The change to the needle bearing didn't change the version. Mine has the needle bearing and said V2 on the side. It makes no sense, but here we are.

The biggest issue specifically with the Phantom most recently has been the quality.of the cylinder castings when it came to the upper transfers and intake inside the cylinder - both being too wide and causing ring snags. The latest batch of cylinders seems to have resolved this. I would still take the time to clean up the port edges however, just to be safe.

The only other issues you will run into are the same ones you get with all of the engines. Pinched cranks, metal in the crankcase, uneven flanges, etc.

If your current CG goes 50mph it's basically as fast as a stock Phantom. The only big difference will be in the power under the curve. The Phantom makes a ton of lower and mid range power, so it likes to pull very strongly even with smaller rear sprockets. They can pull strongly to 9000rpm or more if you port match the intake and/or up the carb size as well, but being a yd100 bottom end I try not to do.so very often.

The minarelli hybrids are the king of top end power and rpm capability, but won't be as strong down low as a Phantom.
Even at 50 MPH, I consider it idiotic to want to go that fast to begin with, It is a bicycle and that says it in a nutshell...Either you want a safe, all around ride, or you want a Dr. Kevorkian do it yourself suicide machine...lol.

Back