Maxed out china girl want to upgrade. Phantom85 or Minirelli ?

Im a high end type fella I can alwas add a few low end mods to balance the difference. Not bashing my CG their a throw away motor. In 3 years been throgh 3 motors. Due to manufacturing defects, and striped magnetos and jugs. Plus the china alum. Is like pot metal. Super soft.I need something I can gas but still retain durability. SO Adding all the advice on top of my gut feeling. IM GOING WITH RELLI.
thnx guys.
Don't be fooled into thinking saw based jugs are weak up top. They aren't. My Phantom has zero issues screaming itself to 9k+ on just a port matched intake and a stock carb. 15cc of displacement with all if it being bore size is nothing to sneeze at.

Put a proper pipe and carb on one with said port matched intake and they do nothing but slip clutches. The person who started the Phantom Facebook group found that out the hard way lol. He told me he has no doubt his bike could hit 55 to 60 if he was brave/foolish enough to do it.

The intake port matching is critical to really unlocking the potential of the motor too. They really narrowed it down at the flange in an attempt to regulate rpm and power (I assume at least).

You and I both know it's not the machines...The problem is Smolik himself...lol...No committment to customer service whatsoever...lol.
The other thing I think that is going on, is these guys making this stuff, are getting their azzes handed to them with their own products on race day. 🤣😂🤣

This is probably at the top of the list for what you’re searching. Water cooled with a whole lot of extras to speed on…With the right pipe, ignition, and clutch you’ll be rolling.
I think they’re fitting these or one of the Mineralli am6 WC kits to the Smolik or RDM case and RDM stroker crank.

The saw top engines are gaining a lot of traction. The biggest difference between the mineralli and saw engines is these's just less time invested in the saw at this point and available kits. I'm sure that will change very soon. Lots of guys are now building saw top engines. A while back there was limitations. Now it's easier to build a saw engine.

I tend to agree on hyper bike speeds. However a blast to the upper limits is a trait of the boy in all of us.
What you do get is a higher extend cruise speed. 35-40 on the Mina. With the jog pipe it will generally band around
42, so you can cruise under it. With the MZ65 the band is lower and you are cruising in fat power in the 35-40 range, and it tops around 50. This is with the cast cylinder and a VM18. My Athena if I had the nads to stay with it I bet would hit the upper 50s. I have seen 55.
As far as building a Mina hybrid goes a good stock case has been fine for me. I advise heli coiling the cylinder studs, though the bottom end of cast motor is not, the Athena is.
The Mina and the Phantom/saw builds are “different strokes” for different folks, both are pretty cool, they just do it differently.

I tend to agree on hyper bike speeds. However a blast to the upper limits is a trait of the boy in all of us.
What you do get is a higher extend cruise speed. 35-40 on the Mina. With the jog pipe it will generally band around
42, so you can cruise under it. With the MZ65 the band is lower and you are cruising in fat power in the 35-40 range, and it tops around 50. This is with the cast cylinder and a VM18. My Athena if I had the nads to stay with it I bet would hit the upper 50s. I have seen 55.
As far as building a Mina hybrid goes a good stock case has been fine for me. I advise heli coiling the cylinder studs, though the bottom end of cast motor is not, the Athena is.
The Mina and the Phantom/saw builds are “different strokes” for different folks, both are pretty cool, they just do it differently.
My one counter to this would be that the Phantom does the same happy cruising speeds and top speeds (up to 50) on the stock exhaust and standard carburetor. My Phantom with a 36 tooth on a 700x45 tire (about the same as a 32 on a 26") isn't happy until 25-30 (still pulls strong up to there though). and happily cruises between 30-40 and can easily stretch its legs past that.

I think power wise both are great so don't take this as an attack on the Minarelli because it isn't. I am actually looking to put one together at some point.

I will say this. The Phantom made entry into a "Saw build" much much easier for folks who don't have access to machine tools like a Mill. Most saw hybrids are much more involved to the end user. Minarelli builds have become relatively easy. The saw hybrids are popular exactly for the reason I named with the phantom - added CC's and a port map designed to operate in the RPM range that these bottom ends can handle.

Both types still have one key issue which is cooling. They lack surface area and mass due to being designed for forced air cooling.

Back