Maximum Operating Temps, Etc...

FrizzleFried

Local time
2:49 AM
I live in the high desert of Idaho and it gets over 100 degrees here some days during the summer. It's not Las Vegas or Phoenix by any stretch, but it's hot.

Is it advisable to operate these little engines in such heat? At what temp should I be wary about operation?

Also... how 'long' of continual operation do you guys run? Would I be good to go for a 10 mile run non-stop? 15 mile? 20?

If you're running at say 3/4 throttle ... do you run a constant speed or do you vary it? I've heard these motors like different RPMS.. etc?

... as I am now getting out of break-in territory I'd like to know some "best practices" for these things. While they are cheap, I'd certainly rather keep `er running.

ALSO... there is a gentleman on youtube that advocates running these things at 40:1 from birth to death... what say you?? (He uses a saying I find somewhat funny... "Ride it like you stole it!").

;)

From my limited knowledge 40:1 isn't really a thing. There are a very few amount of people that have claimed to run this without issues, the vast majority run 32:1. I personally run ~30:1 (I use the gauge on the side of the bottle so you'll never have a super accurate ratio). 5L to about 166ML of oil (I'm from Canada I use Normal Units).

It really depends on what engine you're running.

Some manufacturers (as @DAMIEN1307 has recently stated) recommend more oil per ratio depending on the temps.

As for distance, it all depends on what the max temp your engine reaches. I have seen conflicting opinions, but generally as long as you're not over 300*F reading near the top of the jug (the hottest part from my experience) you should be fine. I tend to run around 280 to 290*F near the top of the jug. Buy a digital thermometer and check after a hard run.

I've gone for hour long rides without any issues, mind you I live in moderate climate.

Digital thermometer...hmm... I bet I could find SOMETHING with a probe I could epoxy to the top of the jug so that I could monitor temps at the handlebars... :)

Dude swears by 40:1... but yeah, maybe 32:1 would be a better option.

Some of the worst driving conditions I have driven through were in Idaho... Once, ice covered freeway for 20 miles in an 18 wheeler and another time, in the same 18 wheeler, thinking I was gonna be blown over.

Damien and I run in the high desert of NM and we don't have any issues since our bikes don't even run right now.

USEFUL INFO OF MY POST BELOW
I think Damien posted something where the manufacturer recommends a higher concentration of 2 stroke oil in high temps. 20 - 25 :1

Digital thermometer...hmm... I bet I could find SOMETHING with a probe I could epoxy to the top of the jug so that I could monitor temps at the handlebars... :)

Dude swears by 40:1... but yeah, maybe 32:1 would be a better option.
It's a good thing to have for many reasons. I've one for over 10 years. The laser also entertains the cats.

Hey man I dug at myself there too. I got two bikes and my shoes get the most use. My gasframe bike... holy cow. I am stuck on my back wheel and brakes. Lack of time makes it difficult. I can't even get that rear axle to stay tight. I need like a 8" (exaggerating) deep socket to get one nut off so I can tighten the bearing nut and HOPEFULLY get my axle to stay adjusted properly. I can't get my freewheel off and my axle wobbles... brand new build too... well not the wheels, but I did replace my bearings and THOUGHT I had it all good to go and put my new freewheel on. After a little ride, my axle loosened and I can't get anything in there to adjust it. The bike shop said once the freewheels go on, they must be destructed to come off... doesn't make sense to me but I am not a professional bike mechanic so what do I know.

The other bike I just need to replace the chain but in the past 2 months, I put everything in my spare room into storage and now I don't know where anything is and I don't wanna be in a 130 degree storage room only succeeding in getting pissed off. I also drive the company truck for commuting now so there really isn't any motivation.

The laser also entertains the cats.
When your done entertaining yours, come to my house and entertain mine as well...lol.

Be careful though, they are all wild feral cats I rescued from the great outdoors...They love me but I can't guarantee how many claw and tooth puncture wounds that they will inflict upon a stranger...lol.

Jessie Mama.JPG

Yoda.JPG

Scraper AKA The Terrorist.JPG

Cleo.JPG

Back