May have made chain too short - am I out of a chain?

Local time
8:54 AM
Pulley chain tensioner had the chain too loose, was grinding against the top chain, had to shorten a few links to prevent grinding, looks like I made it slightly too short. You have to shorten the chain at a certain point where its thinest every X link so the removable connector will fit. Tried stretching chain as much as possible and moving bike to stretch chain to max, just a bit too short by like a 1-2cm.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 119
Ordered some half links, but idk, this tensioner is incredibly tight, even switching to a hole closer down the arm so its looser - looks like the chain is going to touch the top chain, already slightly damaged / stretched the spring trying to take it of. We'll see how it looks when the half links arrive.

Comparing the stock images of this product, it looks like its more designed for bikes that have a cruiser style body where the engine is more flat, and less at an angle like mine

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 136
Ordered some half links, but idk, this tensioner is incredibly tight, even switching to a hole closer down the arm so its looser - looks like the chain is going to touch the top chain, already slightly damaged / stretched the spring trying to take it of. We'll see how it looks when the half links arrive.

Comparing the stock images of this product, it looks like its more designed for bikes that have a cruiser style body where the engine is more flat, and less at an angle like mine
It seems to me it is more like that you seem to have an incredible amount of forward tilt angle on your motor the way it is mounted...At that angle your chain wants to collide with itself judging by the pic.

Its gonna make gasoline delvery through gravity feed carburetor difficult as well...Its gonna want to constantly flood out on ya and will be vary difficult to adjust air/fuel mix properly.

The engine runs good, no leaks or anything, the carb gas reservoir is pretty even with the ground. Since this is how the engine fits on my bike, im guessing the solution will be to extend the spring with a metal clip of some sort, should be able to make one out of some spare metal wire

With the spring in the holes closest to the engine will have less "spring" due to lever action.

I don't use a tensioner. My chain has stretched a little, probably going to need to take the half link out.

Classic mtb diamond frame poses some fit issues. Getting the engine tilted right drives the carb into the seat tube.

You may need an offset intake to fit it better. I fabbed my own from an elbow, fiberglass wrap, jb weld, and a,chopped oem intake, cause I don't think longer intakes work well with a 48cc per my butt dyno.

Attachments

• 20220710_154636.jpg
    20220710_154636.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 107
I'd like to throw my two cents in. I have used the stock chain tensioner on all my builds. I have not had any problems with them that were caused by their design or manufacturing. I was always the problem.
I can give this advice: listen to these guys in this forum, hear what they have to offer, keep an open and creative mind. Also, start from the very beginning of your build with accuracy and precision.. as best as possible. Mount your engine correctly and in the proper position. Mount your sprocket to a true and symmetrical tire/wheel. Align your engine sprocket and wheel mounted sprocket precisely. If it's not, disassemble and start over. Continue to start over until your sprocket alignment and sprocket trueness are perfect or at the very least within the manufacturers specs. Then cut your chain to fit. Use your tensioner to apply proper tension to your chain and constantly observe this area of your bike for changes or misalignment.
I have found that it's usually not just a chain problem. It's a problem with everything you did wrong up until you put on the chain. Go back to the beginning and do it again. I am being insistent about this because I have spent uncountable hours pulling my hair out trying to fix my chain alignment when it was the sprockets or motor placement. Could save a lot of time by doing it absolutely correct first.
And always always listen to and respect these well-known members. They know their stuff and are willing to help with your motorized bike.

I have found that it's usually not just a chain problem. It's a problem with everything you did wrong up until you put on the chain. Go back to the beginning and do it again. I am being insistent about this because I have spent uncountable hours pulling my hair out trying to fix my chain alignment when it was the sprockets or motor placement. Could save a lot of time by doing it absolutely correct first.
And always always listen to and respect these well-known members. They know their stuff and are willing to help with your motorized bike.
A BIG Amen to that...lol...lol.

"It is one thing to just strap a motor on a bicycle and expect it to work, It is quite another thing to carefully and methodically build a motorised bicycle that actually DOES work"...DAMIEN

Back