May have made chain too short - am I out of a chain?

With the spring in the holes closest to the engine will have less "spring" due to lever action.

I don't use a tensioner. My chain has stretched a little, probably going to need to take the half link out.

I want to ride without a tensioner as well, how Long would you recommend before I take mine off? As I’m how much time does it need to stretch

I want to ride without a tensioner as well, how Long would you recommend before I take mine off? As I’m how much time does it need to stretch
I start without one and use offset links as needed. The chain will actually loosen over time, so you will need to adjust. The other thing I have done was use a tensioner on the crank chain and use the slots on the rear stays to keep tension.

Okay .. so for me to not ride with a tensioner , I’m going to need some half links you think? I tried last night taking my tensioner off just to see how much slack was there , and I slid my wheel all the way back and I still feel as though it was to much to ride like that. I could be wrong , I hope I am , the tensioner has been nothing but problems for me.

Get yourself a chain breaker, or cut the chain and remove the links needed. Then you don't even "need" master links if you have a chain breaker.

The tough part about not having a tensioner is the two chains are never really equal, and even if you do get them perfect, one/both will stretch.

Get yourself a chain breaker, or cut the chain and remove the links needed. Then you don't even "need" master links if you have a chain breaker.

The tough part about not having a tensioner is the two chains are never really equal, and even if you do get them perfect, one/both will stretch.
Motobecane makes a moped that has a pedal chain and a drive chain, they solved the chain tension issue by putting a spring loaded tensioner on the pedal chain.

Just an after thought:
If anyone ever notices their chain bouncing a lot, it's because the sprocket isn't centered.

I'd like to throw my two cents in. I have used the stock chain tensioner on all my builds. I have not had any problems with them that were caused by their design or manufacturing. I was always the problem.
I can give this advice: listen to these guys in this forum, hear what they have to offer, keep an open and creative mind. Also, start from the very beginning of your build with accuracy and precision.. as best as possible. Mount your engine correctly and in the proper position. Mount your sprocket to a true and symmetrical tire/wheel. Align your engine sprocket and wheel mounted sprocket precisely. If it's not, disassemble and start over. Continue to start over until your sprocket alignment and sprocket trueness are perfect or at the very least within the manufacturers specs. Then cut your chain to fit. Use your tensioner to apply proper tension to your chain and constantly observe this area of your bike for changes or misalignment.
I have found that it's usually not just a chain problem. It's a problem with everything you did wrong up until you put on the chain. Go back to the beginning and do it again. I am being insistent about this because I have spent uncountable hours pulling my hair out trying to fix my chain alignment when it was the sprockets or motor placement. Could save a lot of time by doing it absolutely correct first.
And always always listen to and respect these well-known members. They know their stuff and are willing to help with your motorized bike.
A BIG Amen to that...lol...lol.

"It is one thing to just strap a motor on a bicycle and expect it to work, It is quite another thing to carefully and methodically build a motorised bicycle that actually DOES work"...DAMIEN
Thank you for your comment. I do not go online often due to work and home priorities. Sorry for the delayed response.

You guy's are driving me nutz with saying that chains stretch, or do they wear? Just for the heck of it I went out and tried to see if my steel bicycle chain would stretch. Nope no stretch at all, rock solid steel. My OCD is coming out, never mind and carry on!

Back