Maybe a little less hammer..

MechMike219

Local time
6:40 PM
Well, I was gonna bash on CDH since it was a new case with bearings preinstalled but, upon further review... I'll take the L on this one.. I used the wrong seal.. lesson learned. Whoops.. good news is that I did manage to complete the beer run. It literally locked up about 1000ft from the house. All while using that same 49mm steel sleeved trash cylinder 🤣🤣🤣. It was actually my cdi dying that made it run so bad. The new one worked great until this happened. Oh well. Live and learn.. and remember, if it ain't broke, it will be soon..

Attachments

• 20221226_185312.jpg
    20221226_185312.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221226_185540.jpg
    20221226_185540.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 58
At first I thought it was that 49mm piston and cylinder I was bickering about before.. opened it up and cylinder was clean. Maybe the transfer shaft bearing? Nope.. Me beating the seal with a hammer and a socket? Ding ding ding! 🤣

Well, I was gonna bash on CDH since it was a new case with bearings preinstalled but, upon further review... I'll take the L on this one.. I used the wrong seal.. lesson learned. Whoops.. good news is that I did manage to complete the beer run. It literally locked up about 1000ft from the house. All while using that same 49mm steel sleeved trash cylinder 🤣🤣🤣. It was actually my cdi dying that made it run so bad. The new one worked great until this happened. Oh well. Live and learn.. and remember, if it ain't broke, it will be soon..
I've have found if a hammer & socket is used as a seal installer, it's a good practice to put a heavy grease around the garter spring on the seal. The grease will keep the garter spring from jumping/popping off while installing seal.

The old adage from the Brit car forum is, "Fix it until it's broke".

I made my own seal installer for these little engines a while back. It's basically a bit of aluminum plate I had laying around I cut down to an appropriate size to press on all areas of the seal, drilled a hole to fit over the crank ends, and I use a bit of pipe with a cap threaded on the end. A small deadblow hammer and my crude little setup actually works rather well to get the seals pushed on evenly.

The grease on the seal is rather important, and I do this on both surfaces to help prevent damage to the seal and extend their life.

I also do things the "wrong" way according to some and take both seals off of my crank bearings so the oil can actually find its way to the crank side of the seal and keep it lubricated. Between truing my cranks and running this way I have yet to have a seal leak.

I made my own seal installer for these little engines a while back. It's basically a bit of aluminum plate I had laying around I cut down to an appropriate size to press on all areas of the seal, drilled a hole to fit over the crank ends, and I use a bit of pipe with a cap threaded on the end. A small deadblow hammer and my crude little setup actually works rather well to get the seals pushed on evenly.

The grease on the seal is rather important, and I do this on both surfaces to help prevent damage to the seal and extend their life.

I also do things the "wrong" way according to some and take both seals off of my crank bearings so the oil can actually find its way to the crank side of the seal and keep it lubricated. Between truing my cranks and running this way I have yet to have a seal leak.
I usually remove those outer bearing seal too but I guess I forgot on these since they were already pressed in when I bought the case. Now I've just gotta remember that the small seal goes behind the magneto not a fat one.. lol

I usually remove those outer bearing seal too but I guess I forgot on these since they were already pressed in when I bought the case. Now I've just gotta remember that the small seal goes behind the magneto not a fat one.. lol
This is honestly why I like the YD100 bottom ends. They use the same wide seal for both sides. Now if they could just come up with a 2 piece cylinder and head worth a darn for them that doesn't have some flaw or goofy one off system of some kind... that would be great.

Back