MBc Product Review: GEBE "Eagle/Velocity" Wheels

G

gone_fishin

As part of an ongoing project (a build based on a diamondback & the tanaka33)
I've been working with Den at GEBE on a custom motoredbike wheelset.

They arrived yesterday and they are nice!

And...Den was so impressed with the results that (i think) he's added them to his line.
They're not listed on the site yet, but you can call to inquire.

Front:
MVC-064F.JPGMVC-068F.JPG
Velocity "Triple V" Rim
Sturmey-Archer X-FD Drum Brake (w/trim-kit)
14g SS spokes, 3-cross

Rear:
MVC-067F.JPGMVC-066F.JPG
Velocity "Triple V" Rim
Shimano CB-E110 Coaster Brake (w/trim-kit)
12g SS spokes, 4-cross
(optional) HTD Drive Ring, epoxied-install

Well-packed. Quality Equipment, Light & Strong.

Sorry, but it will be a while before i can report on real-time testing. I think we all know what to expect, tho.

On a personal note:
I've added Hutchinson "Acrobat" tires & Quality-Tubes thorn resistant tubes. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how fast I expect to be going :eek:

Wait'll you see what we do with this one...
MVC-069F.JPG
but that's for another time & topic ;)

Could someone please tell me(or point me in the right direction) about the advantages and any possible disadvantages of drum brakes...i know their more expensive and i'm trying to weigh-up in my own mind weather their worth it.
I've done a search and can't come up with much?

the advantage is
excellent stopping power (much better than the v-brake) no squeaking
very strong brake that is attatched to the wheel rather than the bike (my drum has been on 3 totally different style of bikes..a chopper, a mtn bike, and my current cruiser)
virtually maintenance free (I have done nothing but turn the cable adjuster in over 1200 miles)
they work on any type of fork (you only have to strap the brake arm to the fork...that's all)
my chopper weighed over 100lbs, and the drum was the only brake...stopped me with confidence always
the only dis-advantage is cost...mine was approx 100$, still less than my rear disc hub wheel
the shoes are readily available, but I don't know how long they last, I have 1200+ miles on mine

I've got a much clearer picture now...thanks man,and thanks Aug for your detailed explanation.
I particularly like the idea that since your going to pay $$$ for this u can move your built wheel from bike to bike with little fuss.I just didn't know how good in performance they were...seems their pretty good(extremely water resistant to)
I'll seriously concider this,especially now that i've hooked-up with an excellent backyard bicycle mechanic.
It's all a question of price at the mo...price plus freight..........plus labor.

i got to oogle them personally today! so light & smooth in the berring, & awsomely true! im drooling now!

If you don't live in mountainous terrain,drum brakes are fine, they have excellent stopping power.But they can be overheated on long descents,esp.if you can't count on engine braking.A combination of forward drum&rear rim brake is prob. best in those surroundings,then you are trying to keep your speed steady,but not decelerating so that there is minimal forward weight transfer and the rear (rim)brake can be quite effective.A rim brake has far superior heat dissipation/cooling capacity.JJ

in this case, the wheels were purpose-built for level speed...and...

i couldn't take it, i slapped the tanaka on the diamondback...no pedals, front drum only...these wheels are sooo smooth and sturdy, the pro-install on the drivering makes for a virtually silent drivetrain...i'm very impressed, and now doubly excited about gettin' on with the project :cool:

Back