MBing = Broken Leg! How Unlucky Can a Guy Get?!

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
4:18 PM
So my case has some stripped out threads that I was on my way to the garage to fix. I wasn't driving under power but I was going down a steep hill when a car decides to turn with no turn signal on. I didn't see the car til the last second and crashed into the back driver door area causing me to flip over the car (I completely cleared the whole car & landed about 8 feet past the passenger door).

My landing wasn't pretty, my fibia is now broken and I have to go in to have surgery once the swelling goes down. Apparently the Doc says I have to get a plate screwed into my bone.

Funny how I have my first crash when the bike isn't even under power! I haven't had the chance to see all the damage to my bike but my wife did take the attached photos, definitely need new forks and God knows what else.

Attachments

• IMG_2880.PNG
    IMG_2880.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2879.PNG
    IMG_2879.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2878.PNG
    IMG_2878.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2876.PNG
    IMG_2876.PNG
    943.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2875.PNG
    IMG_2875.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
could be worse. worst injury I got laying down a motorized bike was a broken elbow. obviously I kept riding with it, though hitting bumps hurt like hell. of course since I ignored doctors orders now I can't feel anything below my right elbow. wouldn't be so bad if I just broke the elbow, but cutting off the cast on day 3 really did me in.

Last edited:
holy crap! were you wearing a helmet?
youre lucky its only a broken leg dude...

about how fast were you going? thats a brutal hit

Last edited:
could be worse. worst injury I got laying down a motorized bike was a broken elbow. obviously I kept riding with it, though hitting bumps hurt like hell. of course since I ignored doctors orders now I can't feel anything below my right elbow. wouldn't be so bad if I just broke the elbow, but cutting off the cast on day 3 really did me in.
Yea I'm unlucky regarding the bike but health wise I consider it a blessing. I think it would of been ALOT worse if I didn't fly over the car and land about 8 feet on the other side. If instead all of my weight would of just went right into the car then I'd be screwed instead of my ankle. Don't know what speed I was going, I didn't have my meter on cause I wasn't under power but it was pretty fast cause I was going down a fairly steep hill, I'd say around 20 mph.
The broken leg and other minor injuries suck and I wish it was a less severe break and no operation but the funny thing is that I'm more pissed about my bike lol. You guys may not be aware but this build as been a long work in progress and when I'm on about my last few days of tinkering this bull sh!t happens.

That was a mean hit. Glad your still with us. Did the Mag. hold up? looks like it did. maybe lucky enough to just need a new set of forks and bars.

That was a mean hit. Glad your still with us. Did the Mag. hold up? looks like it did. maybe lucky enough to just need a new set of forks and bars.
Yea it seems as though the mag held up just fine (surprisingly) but I haven't been to the garage just yet to check out the bike in person, it's a pain moving around on these crutches, so I'm making my inspection via pictures too. Didn't notice any damage to the handle bars, I'll have to take a better look. The car will be more expensive to repair then my bike though.

Yea it seems as though the mag held up just fine (surprisingly) but I haven't been to the garage just yet to check out the bike in person, it's a pain moving around on these crutches, so I'm making my inspection via pictures too. Didn't notice any damage to the handle bars, I'll have to take a better look. The car will be more expensive to repair then my bike though.
I hope you have some medical to help with the surgery. That's gona be the big tag.

I hope you have some medical to help with the surgery. That's gona be the big tag.
I do have medical through work, at least I have that working in my favor. I'll keep everyone updated about my suit, let you know how the judge feels about Motor Bikes here in Erie Pa., that's if my suit goes that far.

Well it's a bit technical cause the bike was motorized. I wasn't under power (I have two stripped case threads that's why I was pedaling on my to my garage) and I was on a pavement crossing the street. If you look at tha attached photo I was heading north towards the park and the accident happened in the lane next to the white car. There was a truck coming south and once the truck passed the driver made the left (west) and I didn't even see the car turning cause the truck obstructed my view. The police here (as everywhere I think) frown on Motor Bikes so I think that's the reason their report sided with the driver. We'll have to see how it turns out. I'm curious to find out how the judge will act towards me being on a MB.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.PNG
    IMG_0892.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 430
Back