Megaphone pipe support

BlueWhizzer

Local time
11:25 AM
I searched through this forum and could not find any ideas on an additional support for the Megaphone pipe. I don't like that over half of pipe just sticks out the back with no support. I avoid rough roads because of it and would like to fix it.

Has anyone come up with a nice looking way to add support further back?

Attachments

• P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 239
  • Whizzer1.jpg
    Whizzer1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 255
I wouldn't worry about the pipe support, as it has worked for over 60 years.

Most of my vintage Whizzer collection use the ECHO pipe and the support at the base of the motor is all that is needed.

Sadly the new edition Whizzer use a similar pipe but has a bracket welded near the area where the pipe connects to the ECHO section, and this bracket often breaks from the pipe.

Have fun,

Last edited:
I did not mean to ignore this thread after you posted pics but the work schedule and such sometimes means I dont get back fo a day or two. Also if its not replied to I dont see it in my alerts and sometimes miss it. I can see many ways to secure this further back but it revolves around your mechanical aptitude,availability of a welder and such tools, and the attempt to explain a complex hanger design on a two dimensional forum...lol. It sounds like you have good advice from experienced Whizzer owners anyhow. Have fun and motor safely.

If you elect to attach a rear support on the pipe, I wouldn't suggest you weld a bracket on the pipe, but simply use the same type of clamp currently used. You could easily make a bracket that would attach to the pipe and frame if needed.

Have fun,

I made up clean and simple bracket and it is solid now. It is basically just a loop with a bolt pinching it tight (not clear in photo) and the other end just shares the bolt for the brake arm.

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpg
    IMG_3427.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 208
Looks like a good fix to me.

You are lucky there aren't many other objects in the way. Look at my Blue Whizzer and you will see the brake arm isn't mounted the same way [with a band], as it is the S4 Schwinn bike.

Have fun,

Attachments

• 51Blue15.jpg
    51Blue15.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Back