Melting my pedals in the oven lol

FurryOnTheInside

In Memoriam
Local time
3:00 PM
So I can't find any tools since I moved house, okay some but not all. Specifically I cant find the darned socket for the locknut that I need to free the plastic body from these seized pedal axles. I have just stripped off all the parts I can and I'm going to put the crank arms and pedal axles in the oven with the (nylon I guess) plastic bit still on, and hope it isn't too hot. I wonder how hot is too hot for the plastic. I guess I am about to find out! :D

If no one hears from me again, I was overcome by toxic fumes and I thank you all for your company. :)

130° Celsius 266° Fahrenheit the fumes are becoming noticeable and I have a headache.
Hopefully this has worked and the pedals will unscrew from the crank arms. :)

I had to find out what temperature is required to break the galvanic bond and get the pedals off these old cranks (from a used bike I bought). Unfortunately the 130°C wasn't enough to make the threads loosen. I have tried to unscrew them while still hot but it would not move at all.
So I sprayed again with penetrating fluid which sizzled like bacon in a hot pan, and left them to cool.
Next I will put them in my freezer. Hopefully it will cause the seized thread to free up and I will finally get these unscrewed. :)

I had to find out what temperature is required to break the galvanic bond and get the pedals off these old cranks (from a used bike I bought). Unfortunately the 130°C wasn't enough to make the threads loosen. I have tried to unscrew them while still hot but it would not move at all.
So I sprayed again with penetrating fluid which sizzled like bacon in a hot pan, and left them to cool.
Next I will put them in my freezer. Hopefully it will cause the seized thread to free up and I will finally get these unscrewed. :)
Dang, that's a lotta work. Be careful! :)

Back