Metal elbows for visual gas gauge

INTP_ty

Local time
1:34 PM
Sibling is welding a tank for me. Clear hose on outside of tank so I know how much fuel I have.

I assume I can use any ole elbow? Can I use brass? Idk anything about welding

Sibling is welding a tank for me. Clear hose on outside of tank so I know how much fuel I have.

I assume I can use any ole elbow? Can I use brass? Idk anything about welding
If it's steel you CAN solder to it in most cases. Silver bearing solder and rosin Flux and a propane torch will get a layer of solder wetting to the steel, and then from there any brass, copper, or tin tube/elbow will be extremely easy to attach with a bit more solder.

My ammo canister that contains my electronics has an inch or so of copper tube soldered to the side angled downward, the main bundle of wires and kill wire are fed through it and a sleeve of shrink tube over that tube and exiting wires, I did it to protect water from seeping in and to prevent the bundle of wire from being hit and bent sharply over edge of the hole in the box which would destroy them. The box is thin too so heating it from the inside to get the solder on the outside worked great while also preventing me from totally burning the Flux before wetting. If you can manage to wet the area with solder before completely sealing the tank up that would make the final steps a lot easier.

Seen it done with brass compression fittings to connect to the poly tube, common plumbing fittings at your local hardware store. When soldering to steel a acid flux will work better.

What i did was use 1/8 black pipe nipples weld them into the tank, then screw brass into them.............Curt

I did turn them down on lathe about half way, so there was a small color for stop then welded, but not necessary.............C

Back