Metal Fragments Leads to Stuck Engine

WeekendFlyer26

Local time
4:00 PM
Hey everyone,

After under 100 miles on my new engine from Dax, I started hearing a clanking within it. Within another quarter mile or so, the power dropped out from underneath and subsequent starts were unsuccessful. Upon removing the head, I realized what the issue was. Have you guys had similar experiences with these metal shards in your engines? Clearly, this is a manufacturing defect; I'm hoping Dax can help me.

Right now, I'm trying to get he piston lose as it's so seized that no start is getting it to turn over. The last stroke that the engine had was coming up to top dead center, so I pulled the cylinder off and let the crank rotate such that the next stroke will pull the piston back down. With a good bit of heat to the engine, I pedaled hard, dumped the clutch...and skid out the tire again. Does anyone have any suggestions to free the piston? Even if I am able to free the piston, I am thinking the engine is toast--you can see a significant gap between the piston and wall. Can you gentlemen share your own thoughts, opinions, experiences?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Kyle

Attachments

• Engine Trouble 1.jpg
    Engine Trouble 1.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 204
  • Engine Trouble 2.jpg
    Engine Trouble 2.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 155
Your best bet at getting that piston free is probably going to be a hammer and a block of wood. Those metal shavings look like melted aluminum, probably not what caused the engine to seize but instead was a product of the seizing. I wouldn't say the entire engine is toast, could be just the top end. A new piston and cylinder may be all you need.

I use wood or hard plastic between the bottom of the jug and engine to hold them separate, and a large wood dowel on top of the piston to beat on with a hammer. The larger piece of debris you are showing looks like a needle from a wrist pin bearing or maybe one of the ring index pins. At any rate Dax should replacing the whole engine.

yeah, kinda looks like a bad bearing needle - I usually go for whole new motor at this point since debris could be hiding under the cage of the main bearings too

Back