Michigan license help

oldpot

Local time
11:04 AM
i read about Michigan laws and says i might need a moped license , i dont mind paying the money($15 i think) i just want to know what i need to get one ty.
i am 50 years old and got a motorbike and car license.

Hello Oldpot
I went to the Secretary of state office and requested the forms and here is what the state requires: headlight- high & low beam, tail & brake light, horn, brakes, front & rear, rearview mirror on the left. The rest of it is common sense, good tires and exhaust, seat must be permanently
attached.
The only sticking point I found was on tires, "approved for highway use by D.O.T." whether this applies to our bicycles is uncertain as I haven't had mine inspected yet. Hope this helps, good luck.

ty tom
i been looking about and tom is right
to have an assisted pedal bicycle in Michigan on the road you need to get a moped registration or whatever,

Proof of motor purchase
proof of bike purchase
headlight, turn signals, horn, brake light and mirror.
Generic certification (form TR-34) indicating that I had assembled the vehicle.
Moped Certification (SOS-430).
Vehicle Number and On-Road Equipment Inspection (TR-54).
come of f*** me its a bicycle with pedal on ???? if i wanted all that i buy a moped
why cant i just pay the $15 can i say i got all that lights on it etc and what if i got a registration and did not have lights horn etc on it and got pulled over i get a ticket?? how do you get brake light on ffs lol
ok i found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorized-bicycle-GAS-ENGINE-signal-brake-light-horn-JY208-/190668876310?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c64c02a16
would this be ok
well i not even bought a kit yet i just sorting out what i would need before i got one
well i ordered bike a few days back but with the looks of it i might send it back and not bother too mush hassle and paperwork just to ride a assisted pedal bike a few miles here and there .

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
OK this will probably start a flame war, but screw it.First, I'd say rack mount with some panniers, the more it looks like a motorcycle,(tank on bar, frame-mount, visible pipe) the higher above the radar you'll be.Second, if you're the typical upstanding looking dude (kinda the Ted Bundy thing) just play dumb and take yer chances with the po-po, probably looking at a warning then you can deal with hoops.Third, I read it here somewhere, every 20 seconds float-pedal so any observers (you may not have seen) can see what it is.
The insurance-auto people would like us to not exist, as a drug-dealer they can't get their cut with us and don't like that.They'd like us to have to insure our willies so we could pee in so-called safety.

i just want to be legal to drive it i want to buy a kit , install it ,tinkle with it, and hope ride it legally,
again i dont mind paying the $15 and with the other things like
horn lights etc hope the link above i can use that and get a mirror for a few dollars i got an old brake for front so its not that bad i was just mad that you need to get all these things for a ##assisted pedal bike##
only problem i might (no i not like ted bundy)have as i am from uk and got strong accent still so cops might not understand me lol.
his there anything else i would need to get to be legal to ride ????.

I agree, there are to many rules, kind of chokes the fun out of things. Michigan is one of the worst states for nanny-ism, also third highest ins. rates in the nation.
I ride my bikes locally in the small town I live in and have no problems with the police, but I should mention we have no local force just a occasional sheriff. You can be sure if I leave my little comfort zone I will have it legal. I have over $1600. invested into the bike and feel like it is worth jumping thru the hoops to keep it. It's a personal choice.

OP That is the light I used and it works good so far. If you do decide to go ahead and build I wish you smooth roads and good luck!(y)

And americans wonder why we don't produce anything anymore, too many regs.What's the paraphrase; "when you must ask permission to produce, from those that produce nothing, your society is doomed".

ty tom
question
this On-Road Equipment Inspection (TR-54)form , you said you not had yours inspected yet , where do you go to get it inspected the police station???, as i read a few post that its could be$200 to get it inspected (that was in philly but is it same here)

if theirs any Michigan riders that had got a moped registration for a motorizes bike that see this can help and confirm please.

I believe I read here you have a motorcycle license??Use it and ride.If you're dead set on jumping hoops here's my suggestion, these were previously stated better by other members here.
Find an old moped frame, pull the vin, braze it to your ride (WELL!) get your bill of sale for the engine, and start filling out paperwork.Again, you have a motorcycle license, if you don't need reg/ins get out and ride.
Good luck.

Back