Michigan Motorized Bicycle Laws

Michigan Motorized Bicycle Laws

FromDustinToAshes

Local time
12:37 PM
I have no license due to owing the S.O.S. several thousand dollars for D.U.I. and I was just wondering if I were to build a little motorized bike if it would be legal for me to buzz around on? Thanks in advance.

Technically you would have to register it as a moped. However, I have never registered and never had a problem.

iam not sure about a dui but michigan laws are very sketchy i have my bike registerd as a moped and i have a sticker for it cost me 15 bucks no need for turn signals head light etc just don't get caught going over 25

If you build it as a moped, do you need a license to ride a moped in Michigan? I don't know. That is the question.

yes but just putting a motor under 50cc makes it a moped not matter what you stick it on as long it has 2 or 3 wheels

There really is no definition of a motorized bicycle in Michigan law. Michigan only defines mopeds, low speed vehicles and personal mobility devices. Technically, a gas powered bike could fall under the moped law. A moped is anything with a motor under 50cc with less that 2 brake horse power. A moped has to be registered but they also have to have lights, turn signals, brake lights. You have to have a driver's license.

On the other hand, since a motorized bike cannot be registered without putting all the stuff on it, it kind of falls outside the moped law. Frankly, I don't know any cops (I am a retired cop) that considers a motorized bike a moped and I don't any who would give them a second look unless you were doing something stupid on one.

My advice is that unless you have to ride long distances, get an electric which is more stealthy. If you get decide to get a gas bike, get one that doesn't look like a motorcycle and be discrete when you ride it. In other words don't run old ladies and kids off the sidewalks and bike paths and obey the speed limits. Oh, and don't ride it when you are drunk because they can bust you for DUI.

FYI. A personal mobility device is a Segway. A "low speed vehicle" is a golf cart or other vehicle that has been modified to be able to drive on the roads with speed limits under 25 mph. A LSV has to have turn signals, lights, brake lights, a windshield and wipers and has to be registered and licensed. You have to have driver's license to operate it on the street.

Last edited:
There really is no definition of a motorized bicycle in Michigan law. Michigan only defines mopeds, low speed vehicles and personal mobility devices. Technically, a gas powered bike could fall under the moped law. A moped is anything with a motor under 50cc with less that 2 brake horse power. A moped has to be registered but they also have to have lights, turn signals, brake lights. You have to have a driver's license.

On the other hand, since a motorized bike cannot be registered without putting all the stuff on it, it kind of falls outside the moped law. Frankly, I don't know any cops (I am a retired cop) that considers a motorized bike a moped and I don't any who would give them a second look unless you were doing something stupid on one.

My advice is that unless you have to ride long distances, get an electric which is more stealthy. If you get decide to get a gas bike, get one that doesn't look like a motorcycle and be discrete when you ride it. In other words don't run old ladies and kids off the sidewalks and bike paths and obey the speed limits. Oh, and don't ride it when you are drunk because they can bust you for DUI.

FYI. A personal mobility device is a Segway.
well your wrong go look at this
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127--179815--,00.html
it says nothing about turn signals etc and you do not have to have a driver license in mi because i do not have one and i have 2 mopeds i should know

Jesse, The link you cited is just general information and does not go far enough to reflect the actual motor vehicle code. You are right however about turn signals, those are only required on low speed vehicles.

Here is the exact citation in the motor vehicle code...

"257.312a Motorcycle endorsement; issuance, suspension, revocation, cancellation, or renewal; special restricted license to operate moped; requirements; duration; expiration; fees.

Sec. 312a.

(1)

(2) A person, before operating a moped upon a highway shall procure a special restricted license to operate a moped unless the person has a valid operator's or chauffeur's license. A special restricted license to operate a moped may be issued to a person 15 years of age or older if the person satisfies the secretary of state that he is competent to operate a moped with safety. The secretary of state shall not require a road test before issuance of a special restricted license to operate a moped."

The motor vehicle code specifies what safety equipment is required for motor vehicles which include cars, motorcycles, low speed vehicles, mopeds etc.

Headlight requirement....

"257.685 Head lamps; number; modulator; height; auxiliary, spot, or other lamp; exemption.

Sec. 685.

(1)
(2) A motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with at least 1 and not more than 2 head lamps that comply with this chapter."

Brake light requirement...

"257.697b Rear stop lamps.

Sec. 697b.

A person shall not sell or offer for sale or operate on the highways a vehicle manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1965, except those exempted from certificate of title requirements under the provisions of section 216, unless the vehicle is equipped with 2 rear stop lamps except on a motorcycle or moped meeting the requirements of section 697. A motorcycle or moped shall be required to have 1 rear stop lamp."

Horn...

"57.706 Horn or other warning device; siren, whistle, air horn, or bell; theft alarm signal device.

Sec. 706.

(a) A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet but a horn or other warning device shall not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle..."

IMO, if motorized bikes become more popular, the police will either crack down on them as being mopeds, or the legislature will clarify what motor assisted bicycle is. Hopefully they will go with the federal guidelines and not the moped law.

Last edited:
Some states have it spelled out - that in the case of a DUI - can not even ride a motorized bicycle.. Others don't call it out - some need no drivers license... Might be time to do some more homework ? Mountainman

Back