Michigan Motorized Bicycle Laws

Michigan Motorized Bicycle Laws

so in a this case, id be able to cruise around on my 80cc, without telling anyone its an 80, and be just fine right?

Well, I ran into another motorbiker today. He is running a snowblower engine on his bike. I asked if he had any trouble with the law. He said he has been pulled over a few times, but never got in any trouble. He told me he went to the Secretary of State and asked about it. They told him It is not classified as a moped. It is just a bicycle with a motor and it does not have to be registered. This is just what he said. I should call the secretary of state myself and see what they say.

Don't ask, don't tell. I'm pretty sure that a HT with more than 50cc is required to be licensed as a motorcycle. If the cops are tolerant, take advantage of it.

I'm pretty sure that a HT with more than 50cc is required to be licensed as a motorcycle. .

I know that. However, it would be very hard for a cop to prove it is more than 50cc. If I get pulled over I will say its 49cc.

What will happen is the cops won't make much of the engine, just the speed you are going. That's how they will get you in Michigan or anywhere else. Don't think all the cops are tolerant, that's a misconception, you should try to avoid them at all costs. Don't attract their attention by being too care free while riding around. good luck Glenn

What will happen is the cops won't make much of the engine, just the speed you are going. That's how they will get you in Michigan or anywhere else. Don't think all the cops are tolerant, that's a misconception, you should try to avoid them at all costs. Don't attract their attention by being too care free while riding around. good luck Glenn

That is why I usually cruise at 20 mph. I try as hard as possible not to attract their attention.

I just called the SOS in lansing and I was told pretty much the same thing. I was told I can ride it unregistered. I just have to follow bicycle laws.

Mountain is right you can't ride a moped in Michigan without a drivers license.This goes for snowmobiles and pretty much anything else with a motor. Just another way to give you an extra kick. Sorry dude but I've been there and done that one.

it figures

well it does figure ............ a good portion of the " legislatures " are aimed at keeping DUI victims and other non licensed drivers from operating a " motor " vehicle. Yet we still pay taxes for roads and highways. Kinda like we pay taxes for schools even when you don't have any kids. Go figure. Ya all wanna know something ? ( NOTE I do refrain from using coarse typing here ) WTF we gotta go to work too ya know ? And most of us are just trying to get there on time so we don't get friggin fired . Screw it ride the friggin thing and don't be stupid like you were on 4 wheels. I wonder how many 2nd chances the
lawmakers got before they got caught.

Last edited:
Back