Michigan Motorized Bicycle Laws

Michigan Motorized Bicycle Laws

i would just not drink and drive on your mb lol and pray every day before you head out.
i lost mine when i was 18 for being stupid and just getting a ton of tickets and what not and i just drove any way lol !! o and if u get pulled over on your mb just say something cleaver like but im wearing my belt and point to your waist lol if that dont work just act stupid and if that fails cry like a baby. i got pulled over on my last day of my suspension, go fig right, and i just cried like a baby and in the end he let me go.

Motorized bikes

I emailed SOS about this issue last year and received a response that there is no process to register a motorized bicycle, a motorized bicycle is not a moped and it is legal to operate it on Michigan roads.
So on the roads you have to operate like a bike/vehicle and stop for signs/lights/pedestrians etc, have a headlight at night, rear red reflector or red light and minimally be able to hand signal. I would also highly recommend a horn. I put a pair of Cadillac horns on mine. Oh yeah!

Btw in Michigan mopeds (which a motorized bicycle is not) go up to 100cc.
I have an engine cover on my 80cc that shows "48cc" just in case. Lol
It ran great until my coaster brakes snapped, my rear axle loosened up and the rear tire started wobbling dangerously. Don't use coaster brakes!

But don't take my word for it. I'm just some random A-hole on the internet that is probably talking out of his butt like people tend to do nowadays. I suggest that if you have any questions about the legality that you should email the SOS like I did, print out the email response saying it is ok, and carry it with you while riding. Like I did. After all you are the one chancing a ticket and/or jail, not me.

Ok back to the drawing board. Time to add hand brakes.

does anyone know the laws in michigan about transfering moped registration from one motorized bike to another because my bike frame broke and I need to tansfer my kit to another bike frame

Motorized bikes

I emailed SOS about this issue last year and received a response that there is no process to register a motorized bicycle, a motorized bicycle is not a moped and it is legal to operate it on Michigan roads.
So on the roads you have to operate like a bike/vehicle and stop for signs/lights/pedestrians etc, have a headlight at night, rear red reflector or red light and minimally be able to hand signal. I would also highly recommend a horn. I put a pair of Cadillac horns on mine. Oh yeah!

Btw in Michigan mopeds (which a motorized bicycle is not) go up to 100cc.
I have an engine cover on my 80cc that shows "48cc" just in case. Lol
It ran great until my coaster brakes snapped, my rear axle loosened up and the rear tire started wobbling dangerously. Don't use coaster brakes!

But don't take my word for it. I'm just some random A-hole on the internet that is probably talking out of his butt like people tend to do nowadays. I suggest that if you have any questions about the legality that you should email the SOS like I did, print out the email response saying it is ok, and carry it with you while riding. Like I did. After all you are the one chancing a ticket and/or jail, not me.

Ok back to the drawing board. Time to add hand brakes.

How did you phrase your email? I want to make sure I get the same response in an email I can print.
I sat in my local branch office for a couple hours today and got the same paper work for titling an assembled vehicle. Which doesn't have a moped category, only one for a motorcycle which exceeds the requirements for a moped. I'm pretty sure mopeds don't even need titles...
Instructions for titling your assembled vehicle
Vehicle number and equipment inspection
Registering your moped

I have been considering building myself a MB. I just want to know from those of you who already have one, do you have insurance on it and if you do, does your insurance company just consider it a moped for coverage purposes?

Back