Michigan riders?

ideas on where to get started?

I live NW of Detroit. Any ideas of where to go to get ideas or get started in this process? i am new to all of this.

I live where Baseline Rd runs into Lake MI. Do you have a bike that you want to motorize or are you starting from scratch?

You are in the right place to get answers to ?'s you might have. I'm my self have had 2 and 4 strokes frame mounts.The Grubee 4 stroke kit was the one for me.Good luck,MotoMagz

schwinn frontier

my bike is a schwinn frontier. i have had it about 12 years.

So its a hardtail mountain bike, that is a good type of bike to convert to motorized. If you want a good quality kit that will last a long time, look at the:

GEBE system ($600) http://www.bikeengines.com/ - made in Michigan

or the Titan ($400) http://www.thatsdax.com/ .

If you want something cheap that will last a summer, go for a cheap 2 stroke ($125), see sponsors on this page.

opinion on wilderness electric hub motor

skyl4rk-
i noticed on a search that you had a post on a hybrid you were building. in the post you mentioned that you had a wilderness hub motor on the bike. what are your thoughts on using this kind of motor? i am going to be using this bike to go back and forth to work about 10 miles round trip. which engine is easier to install? gas or the electric hub motor.

You can ride more places with the electric hubmotor, like bike paths, sidewalk, anywhere you can ride a bike. It is quiet and most people will not know you have power assist. The range is limited, 10 miles is about all you will get with lead acid batteries. Lead acid batteries are heavy and you will only get one or two seasons out of them. There are LiFePo batteries out there that will give you long range but they are expensive. They are lightweight and are really the best choice if you go electric. You are probably looking at $1200 for a quality electric kit with a LiFePo battery.

Gas motors have no limit to range but you have to ride like you are driving a vehicle, stay off the sidewalks, bike paths are questionable whether you can get away with riding on them. Unless you get a moped sticker, gas bikes are technically not legal though they seem to be tolerated. Gas bikes are loud, faster and more fun. Gas bikes are cheaper to get started. Gas bikes are stinky and must live outside or in the garage.

I would say the installation is about the same either way, maybe more difficult for electric because you need to build a battery mount and you need to know the basics of electricity to put the thing together. Connectors and switches are important. Gas bikes require frequent attention to chain tension and fastener tightness.

If you are looking to commute on a regular basis, I would suggest the Titan as relatively easy to install, strong construction, reliable and fun to ride.

Back