Mickey Mouse fix

L

Large Filipino

Just wanted to throw this out. When I was building my bike,I needed something to brake my rather large chain so I can adjust it right. The tree dollar Wal Mart bicycle chain breaker was just too small,so I took my trusty drill bit and MADE it work.
It still cuts the smaller chains too.
The other two pics are what's now my handlebar arrangement. I got those twist grip gear changers so I put both of them on the left along with my clutch. I hate how that one on the end that cable is sticking out,but when I flipped it,it got in the way of the clutch.
On the right I have the throttle,of course,then both brakes. The rear brake is on top and the front brake just below. When I squeeze them,the back brake engages first before the front one. No thinking involved here. It just stops straight.
When I had my front brake on the left I found I wasn't using it at all. That's what led to all this.

Attachments

• 100_0080 copy.JPG
    100_0080 copy.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 907
  • 100_0074 copy.JPG
    100_0074 copy.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 888
  • 100_0075 copy.JPG
    100_0075 copy.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 982
I have the brake levers that have the shifters attached (rapid fire) and they are huge and bulky so i think i'm gonna replace the brake levers and eliminate the shifters if i'm correct i can use the adjustment screws on the derailers to hold the bicycle chain in place, it's not like I pedal enough for shifting to matter.

could you possibly eliminate the front derailer then the cable wouldn't stick out the left side

You know,that's a pretty great idea. I could just remove the entire assembly then keep the middle gear on the chain where I always have it. Moving the front changes gearing so drastically anyway.
Thanks Wayde!

no prob i am in the process of eliminating both derailers it should be pretty easy

cutting the chain down then it's no sweat,but I'm gonna keep my rear for sure cause I have no adjustments on my rear wheel.

i think i'm gonna pick a setting and shorten the chain...a lot i love the fact it'll clear up the handle bars

Thanks for running this thread. I have my throttle mounted out on an extension on my bars, and have been annoyed with letting go of the throttle to shift gears, and braking has not been entirely satisfactory. The ideas you guys put forward here will solve both. Thanks for being here.

Just wanted to throw this out. When I was building my bike,I needed something to brake my rather large chain so I can adjust it right. The tree dollar Wal Mart bicycle chain breaker was just too small

I made that chain breaker work by holding the chain in with a pair of channel-locks held in one hand while carefully twisting the pin in with the other hand. It might not work so well for regular bike chains now (some of the metal guides got bent out of position), but they're cheap enough that you can buy another for those if needed.

Yes. Channel locks. That would have fixed so much aggravation!

Today I had my bike on my bike rack attatched to my blazer. I wasn't paying any attention and somewhere along the way I lost my spark plug boot and wire. I was thinking "OH NOES! I need a new coil something!"
I went to the local auto parts place and got a single coil wire. I cut it in half and wouldn't you know,both ends work. Funny though how it just screws in there via screw in that hole.
Now I know how to do a tune up when the time is right! Just unscrew the wire to change it and the spark plug.

I really should start a thread in the gallery but it's not fully ready yet. It still needs some added touches.
Speaking of added touches,here's another piece of advice. If you think it will work,then by golly go find out!
I found this old school Stewart Warner mechanical speedometer laying around! It looks cool!
It maxes out at 60 mph (not 6 mph like I thought and it would have ruled huge) and has an odometer.
I bet it came off a really cool bike!

Attachments

• speedometer.JPG
    speedometer.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 663
Back