Mickey's Walmart Skyliner

Here's my bike, a $149 Schwinn Skyliner from Walmart with a Kings "80cc" motor kit. This bike has front suspension (springing really as it doesn't seem to have any damping effect). It has a bit too much space in the diamond and a 1 1/2 inch downtube so it does require fabrication of a front mount. I've ridden it about 500 miles and everything is still straight although I broke all 9 trailing spokes on the left side within a few days. I was too paranoid when tightening the sprocket bolts and that allowed the sprocket to work the spokes to their death. The narrow handle bars make it hard to fit all the controls on and I think a more classic sweptback bar would allow an even more comfortable riding position. Since I set the bars as high as possible and the new Cloud9 seat as low possible, its very comfortable on up to 20 milers (that's the longest I've gone in one..ah..sitting).

It's a cheap bike but has a steel frame and I like its lines.

Mickey

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 2,228
Too much noise and vibration. General quality is low. I can't get it to idle. And it broke a head bolt already at 500 miles. It may just be my particular kit. On the plus side, it's compact, centermounted, and looks good. I've about decided that, unlike some of the speed demons on this site, smooth and quiet @ 20 mph with torque for hills would be right for me.

Nice Framebag for the Skyliner

I've been looking for a way to easily carry my cell phone, wallet, and a small collection of tools. Since I moved the tank to the rear, this Jandd framebag does the trick although its just a bit long for the throttle cable. Full length zippered compartments on both sides with rainflaps. $25 from JensonUSA.com.

Attachments

• framebag.jpg
    framebag.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 433
This bike has front suspension (springing really as it doesn't seem to have any damping effect).
Turn the two nuts on top of your fork by hand (at least my forks turned by hand) counter clockwise all the way out till it stops (That's the softest setting) then turn both in the same number of turns for damping. I like leaving mine all the way out to the softest setting myself.

Added a velocity stack from Davesmotors

I bought a velocity stack (af308) from davesmotors that was intended for a 47cc pocket bike: http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1097.html
Its currently $5 (how could I go wrong).

It seems to fit my Kings '80' stock carb perfectly with the choke removed. (the choke nut protrudes past the lip of the filter mount) I'm going to mark the position and drill out a little cavity in the solid aluminum so I can reinstall the choke before winter.

I'm hoping for a little performance boost (especially after I mount the boost bottle I ordered ;-) but I also really wanted to use a standard foam sock filter rather than the dinky plastic thing that came with the motor. I think this will allow me to do that.

Attachments

• stack1.jpg
    stack1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 330
  • stack2.jpg
    stack2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 298
  • stack3.jpg
    stack3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 284
  • stack4.jpg
    stack4.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 289
  • stack5.jpg
    stack5.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 302
Choke's back

I marked the choke location through the hole, hollowed out a spot in the billet using my Hulk Smash! fabrication techniques and reassembled. Still looks airtight around the edges and the choke swings smoothly.

Attachments

• stack6.jpg
    stack6.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 299
  • stack7.jpg
    stack7.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 305
  • stack8.jpg
    stack8.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 283
  • stack9.jpg
    stack9.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 303
did you get any better performance out of it

I think that it very marginally helped at the high end. My Kings "80" has always seemed to have a second gear from about 26 mph --> too scary for me to top out. (the motor make the whole bike buzz like a swedish massager). It seems to accelerate just a bit quicker when it comes on the pipe with the VS. I'm watching the plug to see if I need to move the needle clip.

Back