Mid Atlantic MB/Whizzer Rally October 11-12

Hi all, I just want to give y'all a heads up about what's going on. I've been in contact with the people at the town hall in Northeast, and I've got a bunch of paperwork I need to fill out. They're handling it like I'm proposing another event like Daytona Bike Week! They're asking me to submit a site plan - to scale(!) with everything noted such as porta-pots (when they have public restrooms at the park), parking, etc etc. Then it might have to go in front of Town Council. I need to talk to them some more to explain that the average family reunion will likely have more people than this rally.
In the event it goes sour with Northeast, I have been in contact with the powers-that-be at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE, as a possible "Plan B". I realize that Delaware has more stringent laws regarding MBs, but we have two things going for us there. First - I'm a volunteer at the park. Second - I'm a volunteer at the park. :LOL:
My immediate supervisor at the Park has put my request in to the powers that be with a request for special consideration. So we'll see how this pans out. If Northeast, MD balks too much, I will likely move the event to Fort Miles in Cape Henlopen State Park. There is a lot to do and see in that area, so we wouldn't be losing out. Plus, there is close-by lodging at the Biden (yes, named after the Vice-President candidate) Center that might be available. Also, there is the potential for securing the bikes in Battery Smith (a underground WWII-era Coastal Artillery Battery) overnight. But this might all be premature, depending on Northeast's reply. That's all for now.

change of venue

Where ever you go I'll be there. Maybe Lewes, Delaware will be more fun. I like the shore. Let's take the ferry home & Whizz up through New Jersey .:):):)

I just heard back from the people at the Town Hall in Northeast. They said we cannot hold the rally in the park because of the swap meet aspect of it. That turns it into a commercial venture, and that rules out any of the parks. The parks are run on grant money from a non-profit entity, and one of the stipulations is that there be no commercial enterprise in the parks. I respect that. They were kind enough to give me a list of other sites in Northeast that might allow such an event. They mostly were shopping centers with large parking lots, something that would allow for increased foot traffic. That's something to consider if it was truly a commercial event, but it's not. I'm not going to rule out Northeast, but if I hear back from Cape Henlopen in a positive way, we'll move the event there.

A suggestion: If you have an organized ride, it would be a good idea to have a pick-up following the pack. Also a good idea to have a good tool kit and a good first aid kit in the P/U.
(Thanks to Mitch for running the sweeper truck for the OP gathering.)

Helmets?

Hey,
Do we have to wear helmets in Maryland & Delaware or is it optional like in Pa.? I have a helmet but don't wear it. In Pa. I wear my, always a hit, Snoopy style aviator skull cap.

wear them anyway

Hey,
Do we have to wear helmets in Maryland & Delaware or is it optional like in Pa.? I have a helmet but don't wear it. In Pa. I wear my, always a hit, Snoopy style aviator skull cap.

i would wear one anyway see this...
knee, knuckles (extra points for bone damage),
View attachment 11142
noggin...
View attachment 11140
dunno why it looks like i'm laffin',
View attachment 11141
cuz believe me, i wasn't!

now i know why i wear a helmet!!

bonus pic...van's saturday arrival at rally-central
View attachment 11143

boy oh boy...that sure was a good rally, bud :cool:
good luck guys..

I believe Delaware does require helmets. I think Kilroy has some pictures of the site. He had been away this weekend but he should chime in tonight sometime.

Jim

Last edited:
Back