Mijimobile

D

Dan Hunter

I was purchasing my daughter a motorized scooter for Christmas and became enamored with the Visa engine/transmission combination based primarily on the chain drive. I spent the rest of the year on the remote tour designing a bike that would use that combination and this is it. Final drive works for lighter people but I'll be rebuilding the rear tire with a hub combination that allows the engine to attain a more suitable rpm. Also, I'm replacing the water bottle tank with an aluminum tube tank (aiming for an early Harley appearance).

Attachments

• sundayphoto.jpg
    sundayphoto.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 194
Wild bike

That's cool. I like the triangular shape. What kind of engine is that? I bet that really gets some looks.

It's a honda GX31. I have a Robin engine mounted to an older version of the visa gearbox that has an internal freewheel which will allow a fixed left side drive gear rather than a ACS southpaw. The fixed gear will allow better gear reduction and the Robin has more power. I'd like to start commuting on it instead of the thirsty (42 mpg) FXSTDI.

Attachments

• Steve.jpg
    Steve.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 165
How's that engine mounted? Looks like it's just floated on there by looking at the pic. Nice ride. Any closer shots?

How's that engine mounted? Looks like it's just floated on there by looking at the pic. Nice ride. Any closer shots?

The Visa gearbox bolts on the horizontal plane - four points. I considered a rubber mount and will likely go that way but I wanted to ensure that the driveline didn't walk around initially. I built the frame myself and built a jig to precisely align the frame from the bottom bracket to the rear axle. Included in that portion of the frame is an engine mounting plate to add extra rigidity though the next frame will use bungs and an aluminum adapter plate to allow more flexibility in layout.

The pedals exist largely to achieve the holeshot. After that, there's enough forward progress to keep from smoking the clutch on engagement.

What do you want a picture of exactly?

By the way, I love the site and the concept of minimal power and maximum efficiency with acceptable performance.

The pedal drive side uses a teflon rod through mounted on a bolt. Hardly as efficient as an idler gear and wildly expensive but I live in a small town and the relative cost against a geared chain tensioner is small. The actual frame design is still a chalk stain on the floor of my garage. I'd wanted to sell them but with foreign pressure and copyright problems, I'd rather give away my plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about creating a thread about your bike in the picture gallery. I'd like to see/hear more about it.

Back