Miles Travel?

I put 10+ miles a day on mine when the weather's good enough. One day I went 52 miles, yesterday went 40 miles with lots of stop-and-go.

These engines aren't balanced and produce different harmonic frequencies depending on the RPM and engine mounting. I get a bit of vibration from 27-28MPH and from 34-35MPH. Other than those speeds, mine's pretty smooth from 12MPH on up.

I put 800 miles last summer on mine back and forth to work. About 8 miles each way. Its up hill most of the way there. I did suffer a two broken spokes. (12gage) and the frame finally cracked and I had to build a new bike. Its a real 1950's Schwinn cruser that I built from salvaged parts. My bike has always vibrated something awful! I don't use chain guards any more. They are really noisy. (vibration) I also have gone through several chains. I am constanly messing with the carb? It does not run constantly from week to week but always gets me there an back. Its a cheap and fun ride and worth the constant maintainace it requires. Some day I'm sure I'll find the sweet spot. I'm an addict.

SchwinnAlloySeven_GT5 said:
I put 10+ miles a day on mine when the weather's good enough. One day I went 52 miles, yesterday went 40 miles with lots of stop-and-go.

These engines aren't balanced and produce different harmonic frequencies depending on the RPM and engine mounting. I get a bit of vibration from 27-28MPH and from 34-35MPH. Other than those speeds, mine's pretty smooth from 12MPH on up.

I agree, I had this theory awhile ago but couldn't put it to words like you. I also suspect vibration is different for each frame type because of the material used in making the frame determines the frequencies it best reacts to. Mine is also smooth at most speeds and hits vibration at certain speeds.

BTW, does anyone else hear a whistling sound from the engine that increases in pitch at high speeds? Either from the wind through the fins on the head, or somewhere in the exhaust. When I hear it get higher, I fear the engine is going to explode, and slow down. I just want to know if this is normal because it really freaks me out.

From my experience, an engine that "whistles" or "chirps" is doing so because of a compression leak due to loose head nuts, unsealed head nuts, damaged head or damaged head gasket. You may have an intake or exhaust leak, too.

My first engine arrived with a damaged head and it whistled and chirped after 100 miles. After replacing the head and using automotive drain plug gaskets on the head nuts, it quieted down - until I fragged the crank bearings :LOL:

Occasionally, my Grubee GT5 will let out a chirp, but it's random, and I haven't used the drain plug gaskets on it's head yet.

Back