Milled head - WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Q, I was on the phone with you while you were making this post & there is one thing I forgot to ask you. On one of my other NE bikes I have all the usual upgrades, but the mushroom lifters were not modified. Do you think it would be worth my while to remove lifters & have them modified or wait until I decide to do some intake port work down the road & do it while the jug is removed? I guess my question is will it make big enough of a differance to modify them alone? I'll get those other items boxed up & sent to you this week. Thanks, Dan

I took the "torque monster" out for a ride today. The weather was in the mid 40s, so I decided to take the Whizzer when I went to the Post Office to mail a letter. I discovered that I can now pull out from a standing start without pedalling (and I'm no lightweight). I really like this extra torque! :D

YO KILROY:

Does your "TORK-MONSTER" also have the auto clutch?

I weigh 225...do you think that Oscar's higher compression will "scoot" me a little better from a stop too?

HAL

YO KILROY:

Does your "TORK-MONSTER" also have the auto clutch?

I weigh 225...do you think that Oscar's higher compression will "scoot" me a little better from a stop too?

HAL

That would be a "no" to the auto-clutch, and I probably have 75 lbs on you...

...and yeah, Oscar will definitely like the higher compression.

Hey,
I was out today too in this unseasonably warm Pa.weather. Put my new 50 mph speedo on yesterday. Barely hit 50 mph. Problem I think is in my 26 mm carb jetting. Wish I lived closer to Quenton so I could pest him with these details. Have any good deals on houses for sale near you Quenton?

Hi Jay
What size jet are you using in your 26mm carb. I ask because my 26mm carb does not like the cold temps either. Hard to start and such. Right now I have the 22mm carb on and it runs great in this cold weather. When it warms up I'll put the 26mm carb back on.

Jim

26mm jet size

Hi Jim,
Remember at the Rally last year you gave me a jet & a drill bit. When I bought the 26 mm on Ebay after I got home I drilled out the jet that came with it with the bit you gave me. You said the bit would make the jet a 110 (is that correct?). The bike ran too rich so I put in the jet you gave me. It ran okay with that when it was warmer. I don't have many miles on the carb since it turned cold soon after I got it. You told me what size jet you gave me but I forgot what it is. I should write this stuff down. Do you remember what size it is?
Jay
P.S. My bike starts great in the winter because I have a great wife that insists that I always keep my bikes in the house.

Last edited:
Hi Jay
Nope I don't remember. I guess I should write this stuff down too. The senior moments are coming more frequently any more. It's all blurring together.

Jim

Hey Quenton:

Received my Milled Head, a Copper Head Gasket, the 7 Shortened Head Bolts, and a #82 Main Jet today!

You must have a really accurate milling machine! I ran a check on the milled surface using my Perkin-Elmer Mark VII Laser Interferometer, and the printed result showed a mean deviation of only 4.65 Microns from absolute flatness! That's 0.00465 millimeters, or 0.00018307 inches!

This is EXTREMELY flat...good work!

Would it be hazardous to re-attach the head without a torque wrench, provided I followed your recommended tightening sequence, with a follow-up tightening at a later time?

I wouldn't mind removing the gas tank, as I've done it before, but I wouldn't want to have to shift the engine in the frame to do the job.

Thanks...
HAL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back