Mini Turbo

It won't work, there's more to it than just bolting a fan to the inlet side of the engine. Even if the fan does increase the pressure in the intake manifold, let's be optimistic and say 0.5Bar (normally pressure turbo's boost) on top of atmospheric pressure, the extra air and fuel mixture will "fall" out the exhaust port because the port timing (overlap) differs alot between normal aspirated engines and boosted engines......
Secondly the engine is not designed to absorbed the extra stresses and forces resulting from the increased performance (if it really happened) and therefore will either pull head studs or break the piston or even destroy the engine casings.

Not to be one to dampen creativity but whatever fan you pick will likely be no more effective than blowing into the carb as hard as you can.

Spooling a turbo is not anything like swirling a bit of air in front of the carb. In fact I would bet that you would see a decrease in performace. I bored my carb by about 2mm and saw a bit more throttle response (opened my exhaust up too). I'd guess that the fan running or not would actually impeed air flow (not to mention the current draw)

This thread has a guy building a turbo on a honda fiddy http://www.planetminis.com/f8/my-turbo-fiddy-build-81591.html
Here is a mini turbo on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RHB3...012QQitemZ220249205798QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

BUT the fiddy is a 4 stroke bike.

On a 2 stroke even if you had a real turbo and got it to spool you would now have something forcing the fuel/air mix out the exhaust before it was ignited. To compensate for this you would have to have an exhaust that would make a ton of back pressure. Kinda back to square one then.

But give it a try. Do it the simple way. Take off your air cleaner, swipe your wifes hair dryer and let her rip............

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
There is a lot of people trying to sell plans for an electric supercharger (essentially the computer fan idea but on a bigger scale). It would have more of a ram air effect than a boost effect as the pressure wouldnt be that much. Its definetely worth a try though. I've got a few fans laying around.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, and I feel dumb asking it, but how can you run anything on the white wire? Wouldnt you need two?? Positive and negative? Or am i missing some incredibly obvious lol

The frame acts as ground.
As for using the magneto to run the fan, magneto voltage does not vary with engine speed in a linear fashion, infact it hardly changes at all. Or else your lights would be dim at idle, and blowing bulbs near redline. the magneto is designed to saturate at a certain RPM.

As for the idea itself, it is feasible but impractical or everyday use. Personally I would just stick to improving breathing.

BSA

when I had a goped(23cc zenoah 2stroke) me and some friends made an old leaf blower into a super charger for it. The motor just bogged down and wouldnt run with the the blower going.

I dont like to blow my own horn,, but i am an ASE certified auto tech. I have seen poeple selling and installing every thing from modified vacumes to devices in the air stream in an effort to "Boost" power. the only ones I have seen actuley work so far have been traditional turbos, super charchers(IE blowers) and nitrus. and none of the electric "turbos" I have seen have done anny thing but put a drag on the charging system.
Sorry to burs your bubble guys and gals.

Turbo's -& superchargers are all about 'volumetric efficiency' - increasing the ammount of fuel/air you can cram into your cylinder, thus producing more power. The truth is that a decent expansion chamber carefully set up will be much more effective at doing that.
Keep tinkering & thinking though, it's great.
I supercharged a 49cc honda monkey bike some years ago. I took the inards from a pneaumatic rotary sander (as used in crash repair shops). Enlarged the inlet & outlet holes,pressed it all into a block of aluminium & drove it with a tiny 8mm v belt & a washing machine pulley with a groove machined in the flywheel.About 2.6 :1. I had 2 flats machined on the aluminium casing & mounted the inlet & outlet manifolds on it.I used a 19mm delorto flatslide from a fantic super rocket.. It sounded like a dentist drill! but it was never properly sorted,the manifold was too long & the blower bearings were sealed-yet ran at 18,000rpm!
Then years later I sent a honda 70cc camshaft off to Ivan Tigh Camshafts here in Australia. I asked him for the most wild grind he could manage without making it too difficult to start or idle. It was a winner. In those days it cost $80. The power gain was unbelievable!...waaaay better than my half baked blower.
The point of all this is that usually a simple & cheaper mod can give you the extra power you want.
cheers
Simon

Computer fans have no torque, it wouldn't work at all.

I wouldn't say that at all, I'm a computer modder and I have this one fan by Thermaltake that chopped a chunk of my finger off, it can reach 6000 RPM

it also has an adjustable knob which regulates the fan speed so you can adjust the psi to your engine.

I don't have the resources to go through all the trouble of building a mini turbo though :/

This idea of using a teensy computer fan to as a blower to get the engine to ingest more air is utter nonsense,even if the white wire would be able to run the thing.the efect would be infinitesimal,even a small engine sucks in lots of air (I'll spare you the calculation),far far more than such fan could ever provide.If fact the intake air would prob. drive the fan.instad of the converse.

Back