Mini Turbo

does anyone even realize that the concept of using a 12 volt fan on a 6 volt system will not work??? if you hook up say a lightbulb to a 6 volt engine, it will just kill the engine. because with the white wire you need to ground the negative wire, and when the fan is hooked up it grounds the spark.

Proof that this wont work is the fact that if you take the sir filter off and blow into the carb while the engine is running it dies out. Unless you could regulate the fuel pressure in accordance with the boost pressure it could not work.

BSA

How about instead of a turbo, using a fan or two as a type of engine cooler, while at the stops?

fan for cooling -- ok if you want to

How about instead of a turbo, using a fan or two as a type of engine cooler, while at the stops?

you could find a way to install a cooling fan if you wanted

these small air cooled engines do not need that extra cooling though

yes - I am also still - after all of these years - amazed by the air cooled
engines -- a quality one runs for SUCH A LONG TIME
I have never worn one out !!! keep them with oil = AMAZING !!!

ride that thing

I might sound a bit angry/upset about this but fans don't work. They just don't.

I don't wanna do the math either....... Oh well, I'm up at 6 am because my blood sugar ran low so here goes the math before i go back to bed. plus this comes up in a lot of other engine places. Like trying this on a Chevy v8 :rolleyes:

A 49 cc engine is roughly 3 cu inches

Engine CFM req'd = (CID X RPM X VE) / 3456

CID (cubic inch displacement) = 3
RPM = 6000
VE (volumetric efficiency) = 75% probably a very generous assumption for a 2 stroke

We get about 360 CFM. This doesn't account for pressure required either. :eek:

My 120 mm Delta compy case fan cranks out a whopping 74 CFM at full tilt and chews up 1.1 amps of 12v current.

It MIGHT be possible to do this on a small engine like 25 cc or something. The pressure is very important too. If I plop my fan on my desk, it just sits there making noise. It doesn't have enough oomph to pressurize the air.

I don't want to fully discourage tinkering with this stuff, but one must remember whats required. Some sort of small turbine would be able to do this, but we're getting back into using a regular turbo or supercharger in that area.

I do like the previous idea of using a pneumatic air grinder :D I'm love more info on that

Last edited:
Back