Mini Turbo

All this is just silly blue sky blather,small cfm turbos are hard to build (small clearances required).Nobody builds them or will,when you start running the numbers,it becomes clear, what makes some sense: get a larger or a more efficient engine (higher compression or a diesel).a lot of you folks appear to be divorced fom reality and just want to chew the rag.

The idea of using computer fans was hashed over on a gas saver forum (cars). I was already to order 8 fans for my car when I decided to test the pressure. Using the best fan I have in stock, I made an adapter hooked to a manometer. The pressure was a very disappointing .1 inches of water.

Best bet would be ram air already discussed on this thread. However, it is easier on a car to filter out large insects and small birds.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

But for that, I would mount a small 12V battery to use for the Turbo, and recharge it when needed! Would be nice to just push a button and get a bit of boost. I'm sure the powerful electric motor in the turbo eats a lot of current, so you wouldn't use the turbo much, just when you want an extra kick in power. Safer than NOS.

I'd like to use one of those on my 196cc engine, but it would have to be adapted to fit the carb. GOOD FIND

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Those come from this outfit in Thailand...
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/100324793/Hurricane_Turbo_Fan_12v_Electric_.html

They have three models available. It bothers me that there is no specs on current draw, RPM, or pressure. No real info on the material. I suspect it is plastic.

Yes, you can get 12 volts from a Happy Times. I did it and so did a few others. Check this thread..
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6190

I still do not know if all can make 12 volts, or just some of the newer models. Mine is (supposed to be) an H2-80.

-Flap-

It would take at least 5 Amp at 12V ,most likely closer to 10 A for it to produce a worthwhile boost.Good for short bursts of power.Doing this would also require micture adjustment because more air is aspirated and almost certainly additional carb. mods.Considerable increase in stresses on engine also(bearings)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100%. There is another consideration. In the early 60's when guys were hanging Corvair turbos on their cars it was quickly apparent that the carburetor needs to be on the intake side of the turbo. Some guys built a box around the original carb so that the carb is maintained at the boost pressure. If you don't address these issues, gas squirts out everywhere from the float bowl. This is assuming of course that you are getting real boost, rather that just an assist.

It is unlikely these little turbos are doing a lot of boosting.

Electric Boost

The only real electric boost that might possibly be used is created by multi-fan axial duct fan units used in the model airplane industry. They have available some extremely high volume 'duct-fan' electric units (approx 3" dia)capable of propelling model jets weighting several pounds at over 100 mph. These are not cheap and I have no idea of the battery requirements. There were people here in California that mounted a couple of these duct-fan units on a Porsche 928 (4.5 ltr), and they claimed a couple of lbs boost. I post this just as a point of interest......Byron

Maybe you just gave me an idea. I have quite a few old computer fans. I had set up a test fixture some time ago and got a very dissapointing .1 inches of water pressure from one fan. But suppose they were stacked in a fashion like the duct fans?

Nope. Adding the second fan made the RPM go higher, and it seemed impressive holding my hand over it even to the point of blocking it off, but the pressure remained unchanged according to the manometer. A third fan was inconclusive as far as RPM, and the pressure still was unchanged.

If I were to try it on the bike though, it would be two fans stacked. Even a slight pressure is better than a vacuum.

Back