Minimize vibrations with home made bracket

You know if your rubber mounting then this third mount is almost mandatory. Why?
Because when my engine mounts get loose enough to move just a hair like I assume may be the case in a rubber mount,my engine anyway locks up a little sometimes when starting off and my chain is snug. When I tighten down my bolts the engine hardly ever does that,but more often when it's loose.
As long as my mounts are tightened regularly I don't see a use for that myself except for that may keep my bolts intact.
I'm a bit afraid to use loc tight in this area so I'd rather tighten it every week or two.

I like the idea of a third mount point for the engine, I just don't like that its attached to the poor 6mm cylinder stud.

agreed. mounting it to at least two would prbly be better.
I used an old inner tube to rap my frame before u bolting the engine mount plate around the downtube. Inner tube seems to be very heat resistant, because the muffler presses right against it, and it does not burn or melt at all. I didn't expect that when i put it on; i thought i would have to trim it around the hot stuff.

I posted the suprising results somewhere but not sure where, soere goes again.
When I started my first build, it was on a 27" wheel frame and I had to carve a temporary woodone support to hold the engine in place while I drilled the hole through the frame.
Aftert about 3 weeks of riding, the left pedal started to hit the engine just below the magneto cover. Obviously it dropped.
So I got the original "tool" I carved out of timber, placed it under the engine again so it lifts it to where it should be, but this time I left the timber there for support. Then I tightened the bolt. It "felt" right for some reason.
When I roads tested the bike, much to my surprise, 75% of vibration had vanished.
I assume it's being absorbed by the natural nature of timber.
The picture is not the latest of how it looks, I don't have a camera yet and I got booked by the cops for something else, there goes the camera money !
But you can get a basic idea, I believe this method, when the bolt is tightened and the preasure is on the timber, the engine vibrations are absorbed.
I cut and shaped the timber with angle grinder and bench grinder. Too easy.
The rear spacing is seperated by cutting a piece of leather, an old trouser belt would do.Make sure it's leather.

Attachments

• tn_2A-bolt-plate sqaure.JPG
    tn_2A-bolt-plate sqaure.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 970
Last edited:
very interesting, looks much more stable as well, this would actually look pretty cool with a bit of attention to cosmetics and on a cruiser/old style bike!

The bracket however comes standard with the kit, but I did change the bolt,nut and washers.
The rubber mounts are
GM Steering Bushes. Part No: A92-1
Made shims by grinding large washers into shape so it don't mess with the squaring on the rear mount bracket, so it stays straight.
Don't just tighten the front bolt, and lever the rear mount, it might just crack the crankcase or something else will give in to the bolt tightening preasure.
Make sure the preasure is on the Steering bushes, add shims if it tightens too far downwards if you are not using the timber.

huckersteve,
I hope you don't mean the wood piece. It lasted 5 months and it's only good for measuring, should update.
What fastboy originaly posted is good to. But I still use leather between engine and frame where possible.

No certainly not the wood piece, I wouldn't dream of calling a wedge of wood an "improvement" to my bike lol. Not that I'm disputing it served it's purpose for a time.

I am always looking for improved mounting techniques and systems for my bike as the stock mounting configuration is pretty buzzy.

I'm hoping to get home this afternoon in time to fabricate one of those top bolt brackets (two actually as I'll try it on two top bolts) before going to a rat bike rally down the road this evening. Probably won't come off in time but I'll be thinking about it and getting after it asap. Will post pics when finished along with feedback.

Cheers!

Eyebolts and coupler nuts would take away the ' hardware store ' look Cut off excess threads to clean up improvised designs. I like this concept, and would like to see more.

Back