Missing Valve Stem

michael whiteman

Local time
6:07 AM
So I'm 3 miles down the road today and I encounter my first flat tire on the rear. After pushing my ride home in 90* heat I tore it all down to discover the valve stem had torn itself out of the tube. After a closer inspection it appears to be a defect by the look of the break. It did not show any sign of being cut by the rim. I run a liner inside this wheel against the tire. Would appreciate your thoughts on what might have caused this. I haven't heard complaining of this. Could under inflation cause the tube to slide back and forth inside the tire? It's the only thing I can think of.

So I'm 3 miles down the road today and I encounter my first flat tire on the rear. After pushing my ride home in 90* heat I tore it all down to discover the valve stem had torn itself out of the tube. After a closer inspection it appears to be a defect by the look of the break. It did not show any sign of being cut by the rim. I run a liner inside this wheel against the tire. Would appreciate your thoughts on what might have caused this. I haven't heard complaining of this. Could under inflation cause the tube to slide back and forth inside the tire? It's the only thing I can think of.
If the tube was 2 years or older this happens and not a defect

the valve stem had torn itself out of the tube.
This is just another reason why I use the mag rims I chose for my bike since it incorporates in its structure, a tower like tubing that the valve stem goes through on the mags, protecting the stem and preventing this type of thing from happening.

It's from under inflation most likely, & the tire will slowly start ever so slightly moving on rim from engine torque. I've had 2 tubes do this to me. Now I'm not saying it couldn't be a defect either or from old age. But the 2 new tubes I ruined on the tires I was using recommended 40psi min, I was running 30psi to preserve my tail bone. I've since upped my psi to 40 & havent had a issue.

Back