Mississippi Law

Thanks, Sparky, I get your point. But what I meant about the helmet is... I can just see me telling the cop who has pulled me over, "But it ain't a motorcycle." And he says, "Yeah, well why are you wearing a motorcycle helmet???" :)

Seems to me the helmet thing cuts both ways. If I get this bike kit, I'll probably get a bicycle helmet! Catch ya later...

Umeboshi

ps. I'm near Jackson. I shouldn't have any trouble m-biking down to Gulfport to see your rig, non? :) :) :)

Last edited:
Main thing is to [fake] pedal whenever possible and don't overdo it. You'll have bolts coming loose a lot of times if you don't use loctite, and the engine really isn't meant to be revved WOT all the time. You find the hotspot, stick with it, respect all rules of the road and The Man... and you should be good.

You can sure come down and see my bike, but it's nothing special. I bought it pre-made from www.FiveFlagsMotorBikes.com because I wanted a folding bike, and I wanted a dual freewheeled hub... it ended up having a couple other features I'll incorporate into my first build. But that's gonna be a long time from now.

G'luck on your endeavors!

Just ordered a 80cc bike kit because of the mpg. Live in a suburb outside of Jackson woundering if I'm going to get pulled over. I have to drive right by the police station on my way to school...

Just ordered a 80cc bike kit because of the mpg. Live in a suburb outside of Jackson woundering if I'm going to get pulled over. I have to drive right by the police station on my way to school...
as long as you're not riding like an ass I haven't had any problems. I've done 50 miles per hour past a cop (in a 55 zone of course) and he gave me a thumbs up. I am however dealing with Biloxi police, who are notoriously lazy.

Opinion No. 2011-00095 of the Attorney General, stated that an Operators Liscense, helmet, safety insurance, title, registration,and safety inspection are all not required of bicycles with a motor attached!!!!!!!!!!!! D.O.T. passed an Administrative Regulation in 2015 that brought E-bikes within the scope of the States bi'cycle Regulations!!!!!!!!!
I know Biloxi and now D'Iberville police are guilty of pretending not to know the LAW!!! Assholes!!!

while we're at it, mississippi state law mentions something called a "motor-driven cycle" in the lighting requirements section (§ 63-7-31, § 63-7-13), but never defines it or lays down any licensing requirements for it. however, the NHTSA defines a motor-driven cycle as ‘a motorcycle with a motor that produces 5-brake horsepower or less.’

in my opinion (and the opinion of a lawyer buddy I talked to about it. not a traffic lawyer however, so take it with a grain of salt) what this essentially boils down to is nearly every motor as found in factory condition (and if it ain't factory, it's not like the cops have got pocket dynamometers) that you can reasonably fit on a bicycle is perfectly legal to ride on the road in mississippi so long as it meets the lighting requirements. if you want to be extra safe, go ahead and get a motorcycle endorsement. seeing as there's no tag available for motor driven cycles it's safe to assume on the basis above that no tag is required.

this info might not be enough to get you out of a ticket on it's own, but should be plenty of ammo for a good lawyer to get you off on the basis that the law is poorly written and unclear.

Last edited:
Back