Mitsu TLE43 - Any ideas?

Warner

Local time
1:53 AM
Okay guys....I know I should probably look at a few things, but I'm coming here to find out where you would start. On my way home from work Friday, my engine stalled once when taking off from a light. It started right back up and went okay for the most part. Later, it started surging and cutting out, like it might die. It never did and I rode home. I attributed it to bad gas. I put new gas in (yes, from a different source and even with different 2 stroke oil mixed in) and rode to work today. I went about 7 miles before the same thing happened.....died after taking off from a light. Restarted fine, but there was the same surging and a noticeable loss of power after that. I could still hit 30 mph, but it was down on power. I'm not sure what to check...it sure FEELS like a fuel delivery (aka Carburetor) issue, but from what I understand that carb is simply NOT adjustable. Oh...one other thing I should mention just for accuracy....I bought a replacement gas cap (a while ago) from Staton since my original cracked (overtightened, apparently). This new gas cap came with one of those rings that you fold when instaling the cap so that once it's loosened, it just hangs down from the gas tank (meaning you don't lose the cap). Well this failed almost immediately and the ring and whatever amount of plastic that attached it to the gas cap is now sitting in my gas tank. I wonder if THAT'S causing my problem? I will try to fish it out when I get home today (unless it dies for good on the way home, at which point I'll try finding and removing that THEN! HA!). Anyone have a similar experience with their Mitsu TLE43? I DO have a spare spark plug in my bag if need be.....I'm not POSITIVE that I put the correct wrench in my bag though...DOH!

Thanks in advance,

Warner

PS - For the record, I have a little over 20 hours on this engine.

Well, I went out at lunchtime and fished the plastic ring thingy out of my gas tank using a piece of wire. So we'll see if that's what was causing my problem on the way home.....I HOPE so! If not, I'll change out my spark plug and see what happens.....

Warner

Problem solved! When I left work it was running so poorly that I knew I wouldn't make it home, so I stopped by our maintenance department and borrowed a spark plug wrench and used my SPARE (thank goodness!) spark plug. It was obvious upon removal of the old plug that it was the problem as a piece of carbon or something was shorting the electrode. Installed the new one and Wa-La! Runs great again. Well enough to hit 41 mph on my way home. (OK safety police...let me have it!)

Warners

Next time you pull the spark plug shine a bright light into the cylinder and slowly rotate the engine with the pull starter cord. You can look for carbon deposit on the piston crown and read piston wash which can be even more informative than trying to read spark plugs to see how your engine is doing.

I was going to ask how many miles you had on it thinking that it might be starting to plug the spark arrester in the muffler. That happens sometimes with these around 300 miles. It's easy to pull the end off the muffler and yank the arrester out of there.

Yep, a carbon flake will do it to ya. Sounds like you need a little Top Engine Cleaner to soften up and 'burn' off carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. Looking down the spark plug hole is a good idea to get an idea of deposit accumulations. Another way, is to remove the carb and take a peak at the intake valve stem and backside of the valve head. Carbon deposits on the intake will inhibit and interrupt air flow as well as act like a 'sponge' for fuel. Carbon deposits can also collect on the piston's top rings and grooves. If excessive, this will limit ring travel and tension fit against the cylinder wall. Poor compression, excessive blow-by, loss of optimum power and poor fuel economy may result. Not to mention oil getting dirtier faster.
Your local auto parts store will have something to take care of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. Using it every now and then will act as excellent preventive medicine for the engine.

Carbon deposits can cause detonation. This is very destructive to the piston, and rod bearing loads. Carbon also get mixed with the oil and acts to wear oil seals, leading to seepage.

I use seafoam for my outboard 200hp 2 stroke. I mix 8 oz. in a gallon then run my engine at high idle for 15 minutes, wait 15 minutes, then 15 m inutes with clean gas again. The darn thing smokes out 1/2 the mosquitos in Florida, but the carbon is ALL gone...

Mitsu TLE 43 - Any ideas?

Okay guys....this may not be posted in the right place...and sorry if it isn't. I have a Mitubuishi TLE43 on my bike...and towards the end of last year I started having some issued with it. It would sometimes start revving, then hit a big flat spot...sometimes even dying out completely. I'd start it back up and start accelerating again and it would need to build up revs slowly. It is an intermittent problem is seems. I'm thinking some type of carburetion or fuel delivery problem. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? If so, what was the fix? There's not much to these engines, but my understanding is the carb on them is completely NON-adjustable. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Looking at other posts, here are the things I am going to try:

Clean Spark Plug

Clean or replace air cleaner

Remove spark arrestor (have 2nd muffler anyway!)

Run some Seafoam Motor treatment through it to clean everything up

ANY OTHER IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!

Last edited:
hi Warner
kind of watching your thread here -- not sure if I could be of much help
realizing that you are pretty up regarding many MB matters

just thinking here
that if it's a gas problem -- would be I think -- lack of gas
have you checked gas supply ? -- bowl letting plenty in ?

rather than clean your spark plug -- got a new one just to try ?

from up top the mountain -- have fun as you ride that MB thing

Back