Mitsubishi clutch

R

Radioman

Woe is me..........
I took delivery of this engine on July 23 and after only one
gallon of gas a noise developed in the clutch at various speeds.
It also shuttered at various speeds. Upon a bit of investigation
I discovered that the roller journals were "loose" inside the bearing. I have requested a new roller and bearings from Staton
but need advise on removing the clutch drum from one side of
roller. Picture below. The situation in Pennsylvania is getting worse as I get into this whole business of "Special Title Construction" it is truely a bad joke!
Thanks
radio

Attachments

• Roller&Clutch_Drum.jpg
    Roller&Clutch_Drum.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 603
when looking for tech/mech help, being much more specific in subject lines will catch the person who has the experience...just sayin'....

not the question...the subject line.

"bearing problem with mitsubishi clutch"

see? it would get the attention of someone who knows something, and it's more searchable for future help.

would you like me to change it?

anyone needing moderation help: just PM any staff member with a link to the post and be clear about your needs. please remember, we aren't "service personnel" but volunteers, & we need your help to keep this place organized & effective.

re: Mitsubishi clutch bearings

Thanks for the title suggestion but I got a reply from the Staton
distributer I bought it from today. For future reference it appears the roller is threaded into the clutch drum, "right handed thread"... Unfortunately Staton will not send me a properly machined roller with new bearings because and I quote, "The bearings should not cause any problem because they will not spin when the roller is locked down on the tire".
So those wobbly bearings are really OK, HOWEVER, I can send it back to them for a look see if I wish! Looks like I made one big $450 mistake...
cheers
Radio

i see your predicament...you're welcome to express your experiences in another section if you feel the need.

Thanks for the title suggestion but I got a reply from the Staton
distributer I bought it from today. For future reference it appears the roller is threaded into the clutch drum, "right handed thread"... Unfortunately Staton will not send me a properly machined roller with new bearings because and I quote, "The bearings should not cause any problem because they will not spin when the roller is locked down on the tire".
So those wobbly bearings are really OK, HOWEVER, I can send it back to them for a look see if I wish! Looks like I made one big $450 mistake...
cheers
Radio

I'm not understanding what would keep a bearing from spinning, with a shaft thru it?

I have a staton friction drive....and it makes a racket, when idling & take-off. After that, it's pretty quiet.
do ya think we can grease the bearings?

The only way to get the shaft to not spin is to have the shaft bigger then the bearing and then press it in. the tire pressure on the shaft will stop some spin but not all. I think he sells it that way so the average folks can change the bearings easy.

You are probably correct as to why the bearings are a slip on
fit, but that **** sure means the roller journal will wear faster.
After taking out the slop on only ONE bearing it made a remarkable
difference. What ticked me off is when I was sent this:
"I spoke to the manufacturer and they said the only way to figure out your problem would be to send it back for inspection. The bearings should not cause any problem because they will not spin when the roller is locked down on the tire."
That won't spin when locked down, coupled with sending it back convinced
me I made a mistake. Live and learn........ Next spring will be MOPED
time, no more of this BS with the state of Pennsylvania and the morons
in Harrisburg.
cheers
radio

Back