Mitsubishi TLE43 2-Cycle Engine Low Price -

The Rat

Can play all the night, when the house cat's a kitten. Old Norse.

Had same trouble with downloading the manuals.

I guess a bit rich is not different than various mix errors and more is better in long-run.

Safe is best.

Last edited by a moderator:
DDM has a recommended oil ratio for all their engines and also a chart showing the max ratio for syn. Some engines can be run with a leaner oil mix but others can't. Just for what it's worth.

Scroll down about 1/4 page to chart titled " How do I mix fuel for my Go-Ped?"

http://www.davesmotors.com/goped-faq.htm

TLE43 Engine

Was going to buy one but am holding back until I can see specs. Seems it might be a good investment for future use.

Need to know weight, length, width and height and where fuel cell attaches - apparently fuel cell is sold as accessory?

Anyone who can supply even a current owner who can offer guess-t-i-mate information is welcome to do so; but judging from what I noted here, http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8192 - I will not hold my breath.

Requested specs; will post if I receive positive response.

Loquin's post has two pdf forms on it. One is an owner's manual that for some reason my computer will not download.
The first half of the manual is in Japanese. Possibly your copy of adobe doesn't have the right font installed.

When I get the chance, I'll print the manual, scan it, then convert the English portion to PDF using just English font.

Meanwhile, see if it downloads properly from here

The other is from the engineers at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries who developed the "Stratified Scavenging System" that allowed the TLE 26cc up to but not including the TLE 43 to be CARB authorized. I believe the 43 was built to the same spec.s and was later CARB authorized but I am not sure about that. The form mentions the TLE 43 and shows a picture of it as one of the test engines.
The report documented the experiments done using the 26CC engine as a test platform. After it was established that their stratified scavenging idea was feasible, they then developed the TLE series of engines. At the time the report was written (Oct. 2001,) all the engines except the TLE-43 had already been certified; and the TLE43 was in the process of certification. It shows up as approved in the 2002 CARB registry database, but at the time, it was probably a provisional approval; the CO and particulate matter data wasn't certified yet. However, all the other TLE engines did have all the report data, and all were certified. It took several years for all the test data to get certified. I would guess that CARB required them to retest the 43cc engine for some reason. Maybe all the "i's" weren't dotted.
They used 50/1 ratio mix but do not state whether it was mineral or synthetic. I bought mine from Viza but could not get an answer as to where they got their info. Kirf and Pete say 40. The manufacturer and developing engineers say 50. Guess I'll use the latest Tanaka oil at 45/1. The Chinese say this is the year of the rat and the Japanese say I was born in the month of the rat(Feb.). Never argue with a conered old, oil-soaked dirty rat on a motored bicycle. Unless you are a great BIG cat!
LOL. I played defensive tackle in college - does that count???

The report states 50:1, as does the manual. When I bought the engine from Dave Stanton, he recommended 40:1 for the first thousand miles or so, then 50:1.

Was going to buy one but am holding back until I can see specs. Seems it might be a good investment for future use.

Need to know weight, length, width and height and where fuel cell attaches - apparently fuel cell is sold as accessory?

Anyone who can supply even a current owner who can offer guess-t-i-mate information is welcome to do so; but judging from what I noted here, http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8192 - I will not hold my breath.

Requested specs; will post if I receive positive response.

fuel cell? You mean fuel tank? It comes with a fuel tank. 30 ounces or so. Ref the pic below. You can use an external tank I just bought a 96 oz. tank from Stanton. The TLE43 uses two fuel lines - one suction line and one return line. The lines attach to the bottom of the carb, just above the fill neck on the fuel tank in the photo.

As far as dimensions, take a look at the first PDF file in the link above (the engineering report) - Table 3 is specs for the TLE models.

EDIT: MY engine came with a gas tank. However, it LOOKS like the motor that VIZA is selling does NOT have a tank. (The're selling them for use on a scooter, after all...) I copied VIZA's TLE33 photo (Which is MUCH clearer than their TLE43 photo) & added it to the existing engine photo; it's pretty clear that VIZA just removed the standard tank, which gives them a more compact engine package.

You can order a tank from them separately, or from someone else, if you want a larger than normal tank.

Attachments

• Mitsubishi TLE43D.JPG
    Mitsubishi TLE43D.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,392
Last edited:
Engine - Gas Oil

It occurred to me that the gas - oil ratio is likely 50:1 if they needed to attain acceptable tier rating.

As to removal of gas tank, I never thought about that, thanks.

Wonder if they will include?

Am also guessing that the engine can be flipped like Tanakas so tank (cell) is vertical.

Yes - I thought about the 50:1 ratio to meet emissions as well. VIZA's site mentions 40:1 extended life... (mix 40:1 for extended life?) But, if they state 50:1 in the manual, it would have to be able to be run at that ratio for at least the warranty period.

Since VIZA bought a couple of thousand of these engines at one time, they probably bought 'em without tanks, (to save a couple of bucks each.) You could ask them if they have the original fuel tanks that came with the engine stashed away...

as far as vertical mount - I believe so - the fill neck is angled to support it. And, as 2-strokes, they are run in all positions. The design was intended for use with portable lawn equipment. (Leaf blowers/string trimmers, etc.) If you use a separate tank, engine orientation wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Back