model H rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

48 RDMSTR

Local time
1:10 PM
Hey Im rebuilding my model H whizzer motor and I cannot get the flywheel off.
any suggestions?

Thanks Jim

Jim, I have never removed a whizzer flywheel but, going by the whizzer manuals photos. It looks like they are loosing the fastening bolt/screw a few turns and then place a flat blade screw driver behind the flywheel to apply removal pressure and then tap the fastening screw with a hammer to free the flywheel. Be careful not to damage the case while prying from the back and DO NOT use a flywheel or pulley puller to remove the flywheel because you could easily break the flange of the pulley casting that is on front of the flywheel.

Hi Jim,

The threads are reversed!

Loosen the flywheel bolt a few turns.

Use a piece of wood [ 2" X 2"] from the oposite side of the motor, just locate the wood against the flywheel on the front side of the motor. Simply tap the wood and the flywheel will "pop" loose.

If you need pictures, just ask.

Have fun,

Thanks for the information that will be alot of help, I just have one more question. When try to turn the flywheel bolt I end up turning the motor over. I dont want to mar the flywheel with a vice grip, is there a way to temporarely "lock up" the motor?

Wedge a piece of wood between the outer edge of the flywheel and the bottom of the crankcase [where the drain plug and serial number].

If you are sure it has a standard crankshaft you can use an impact wrench to break the bolt loose, however never use on a Whizzer needle bearing crankshaft as it can "twist".
Have fun,

Thanks for all the information Quenton. Worked perfectly! Now I just need to clean her up and put her back together

I Have done some research on whizzer history and the history of the Cleavland Welding Co. I have come to the conclusion that my Roadmaster frame made by Cleavland Welding Co. is a rare bike. What I learned is that Whizzer comissioned the CWC to make a frame for some of there first complete motorbikes, rather than just a kit you mount on your bike. after 2 or 3 yrs of production the Schwinn bicycle company sued the CWC because they were copying the frame Schwinn made. Whizzer then began producing the complete motorbikes such as the pacemaker, sportsman, and the ambassador. I would like to know first if the information I relayed is correct and second if my bike is as rare as I think it is.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back