Modified intake manifold

Gear Dog

Local time
5:09 AM
So no matter how I mounted the engine in my friends mountain bike the carb just wouldn't fit. With the filter cover on it just wasn't happening. I ground down the inside of the intake a little and added a 1/2 inch 45 deg copper bend which fixed the problem. I'm probably going to JB weld them together once I secure the front motor mount
Now to tackle the front motor mount on the over sized tube.

Attachments

• DSC04707.jpg
    DSC04707.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 864
I had the same problem with my new model skyline. I bored out the intake and mounted a 90 degree plumbing elbow with a set screw.

Well I had both a 90 and a 45 bend. I figured the 45 would flow better than the 90. I know it wouldn't be a noticeable difference, but every little bit counts. I'm also going with the JB weld as that is more secure than the set screw. That is just one less screw I have to worry about vibrating loose.

Andy is that 90 aluminum? I can only get in in copper, yours looks like it came that way with the bend. Thanks for posting pics because when I searched for intakes there wasn't much as far as reference pictures of how they were modified.
I'm a some assembly required kind of guy and had the parts in the garage to make it work. I have more pics that I will post later on how easy it is to do. Hopefully it will help someone else with their build down the line. I was even thinking of casting a new one after seeing an instructable on how to make a furnace to melt aluminum. But that is a project for another day.

Ok here it is mounted on the opposite side and the carb turned the correct way.

DSC04716.jpg

Check my pictures in my signature. I have a similar setup on my bike. I'm thinking of cutting the intake manifold up and jbwelding it back together so the intake is facing out to the left side of the bike.

I cut the manifold off then put it out to the side and welded it back. is JB weld that stuff you mix together and becomes as hard as steel? if it is just take the intake to your local metal fab shop or muffler shop and they should weld it for free

Back