Mongoose Beast Front Disk Brake MOTO-GOOSY

IMG_20131120_094808_811.jpgJust finished the first prototype Front Disk Brake mount for our Mongoose Beast. Whew, lots of problems but it's looking good. Will post some pictures and test report soon. Made a hub adapter to accept brake disk that locates off the hub, then the caliper adapter clamps around the fork tube.

Last edited:
Wow, that certainly wasn't clear on their website. Can't imagine why that would be patentable either. Patents are really expensive and the device must be unique. Most likely the claim that it's patented is only a threat without a patent number.

My design consists of a three piece hub clamp intended to not deform the hub as you might with a two piece clamp. The idea is to create a surface that is square to the hub so the brake disk doesn't wobble. Also, the small splines engage with the spoke ends to lock the clamp rotationally. It's a bit complex but it should be a lot cheaper than a custom laced wheel. It also only takes about ten minutes to install. Don't know if I can price a kit attractively, after all the whole bike only costs $200. I've created this mostly for my own use and it was a fun challenge. Now that the thing works it looks so simple! It's not easy to see all the parts I threw away in the process. Anyway, if there's sufficient interest I could produce them but the price in small quantities may only be attractive to early adopters.

I like the post mount. It's simple to adjust. The IC mount could require shims to adjust it properly. I bought the Shimano Hydraulic caliper on eBay for $40. Not bad, but the hydraulic line is 800mm and ends up a bit short.

IMG_20131120_114600_776.jpgIMG_20131204_094650_875.jpg

Wow, that certainly wasn't clear on their website. Can't imagine why that would be patentable either. Patents are really expensive and the device must be unique. Most likely the claim that it's patented is only a threat without a patent number.

My design consists of a three piece hub clamp intended to not deform the hub as you might with a two piece clamp. The idea is to create a surface that is square to the hub so the brake disk doesn't wobble. Also, the small splines engage with the spoke ends to lock the clamp rotationally. It's a bit complex but it should be a lot cheaper than a custom laced wheel. It also only takes about ten minutes to install. Don't know if I can price a kit attractively, after all the whole bike only costs $200. I've created this mostly for my own use and it was a fun challenge. Now that the thing works it looks so simple! It's not easy to see all the parts I threw away in the process. Anyway, if there's sufficient interest I could produce them but the price in small quantities may only be attractive to early adopters.

I like the post mount. It's simple to adjust. The IC mount could require shims to adjust it properly. I bought the Shimano Hydraulic caliper on eBay for $40. Not bad, but the hydraulic line is 800mm and ends up a bit short.

View attachment 51152View attachment 51153

Hydraulic line length may or may not be an issue since not everybody is going to run that same brake and can potentially have a different quill/stem/handlebar setup.

Have you thought about running a cantilever brake on this bike? Some people have done it already using clamp on brake adapters
http://www.identitibikes.com/idividimage.php?part=FKITRBA+++

What is your best cost guesstimate for a fork brake caliper/hub adapter setup? (excluding a disc brake/rotor)
I can see this front disc brake setup easily exceed $100 with the required adapters/Disc brake/lever... Hard pill to swallow on a $200 bike. :)

Gotta check with my CNC guy. I made the prototype on a Bridgeport and a Chinese lathe. The big factor is quantity. Secondly, do I want to invest my dollars on inventory that may not move. I guess the trick would be to pre-sell a number of kits for say $125. If that worked, I might be inclined to scale up production and bring the price down. Sounds like Henry Ford!

This is only the first stage of my project. I thought it was important to make sure I could stop the GOOSEY before I got power to it. The MOTO-GOOSEY looks somewhat complex as well. The chain drive was the biggest single challenge on my Schwinn Cruiser. That and vibration dampening. I finally got that worked out and put nearly 1000 trouble free miles on it this summer. That big tire and close frame spacing on GOOSEY is something to be conquered. Got a bunch of ideas though. Will be looking for interest on this forum.

Cantilever looks interesting, but I was never a fan of rim brakes. Also, the disk brake looks kinda cool.

Here's a couple of pictures of my Cruiser. This is the result of many iterations of experimentation. Isolated the engine with polyurethane bushings and remotely mounted the carb. It really works well and it's great fun to ride.

DSC06153.jpgDSC06162.jpg

I have come to this thread a little late, but i'm super interested in a right hand side version of this bolt on caliper system (using the I.S. mount specification) as well as an adapter to enable right hand side disk rotor attachment, because my long term goal is to run twin 9" disk rotors.

I am afraid $125 won't fly... Not on a $200 bike. We can get organized across forums and come up with a sizeable order quantity of this adapter and lower the price significantly. It would be useful if you had a price vs quantity breakdown.

$125 is just for you adapter(s)?

Your Cruiser looks fantastic and must ride even better.

I have come to this thread a little late, but i'm super interested in a right hand side version of this bolt on caliper system (using the I.S. mount specification) as well as an adapter to enable right hand side disk rotor attachment, because my long term goal is to run twin 9" disk rotors.

You could probably run two sets of adapters, one on the left and one on the right. Beast fork however may not like that much torsional load... :)

DSC00317.jpg

It's been almost a year since my last post. Been busy and just didn't get around to the forum. I've been working on the Moto-Goosey (Mongoose Beast / China Girl) in the background and after several failures finally got a working prototype. Still need to finish a lot of details and make some minor changes, but it's finally running on the road. My son Karl and I have been playing with this concept for some time and we're hoping to apply our design to the Dolomite for out next project.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder,JPG

In Brief "Bicycle Brakes"

I've attached one picture of my progress on the 1930's Ward more to follow this project. The problem with the system of feature is simple the disk is too thin and I'm doubtful it will stand up to a constant load without warping another is expense.I'm holding a roller brake I did not return due the price was reasonable and the return of it would have been 1/3 or the purchase amount which was about $30.00 they are listed a twice that. That system is without doubt the best I've seen but requires an two piece axel that will hold the wheel as an anchor as well provide bearing surface and attachment for the standard 36 spoke wheel and roller brake. Well nothing is available but when it becomes available it will likely become a the only application for easy installation without the work of rebuilding the entire wheel or replacing it. For now I'm planning the old fashion epoxied surface sprinkled with natural diamond to the 26'' wheel and plan using a Prospect side pull lined with .999 fine silver coin cut to fit the side pull yeah sure file the leading edge of the coin silver to glide over surface and a trace of you guessed it Lucas to brake in the 1/2 ounce . All at a coast of about $ 60 a wheel total.. Now when you compare that sparkle off the wheel and how well it's working for the amount it's a true alternative. The bike I'm building now has a Nexus 3 speed and stainless spoke wheel set with a jack shaft that is easy change gear ratio so it will offer immense low end or high end. The cheesy little stainless disk brake is probably good enough for my rarely doing 60 mph but where's the sparkle of diamonds and the silver on that ?

Attachments

• ASUS - WIN_20141115_192309.JPG
    ASUS - WIN_20141115_192309.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Well more or less I'm try'n to finish up

out of the house back in the garage no brakes unfinished few more hors remaining ..

Attachments

• ASUS - WIN_20141117_154000.JPG
    ASUS - WIN_20141117_154000.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 676
Tomtruly, I am in the process of motorizing a Mongoose. A lot of ideas on jackshaft to offset chain, Any pointers, how about a few pics of your jackshaft.....Thanks

Back