Mongoose Dolomite + Sickbikeparts shift kit: Is a 415H Chain Really Necessary?

yuckfoo

Local time
4:09 AM
Sickbikeparts told me I'd need a 415 H chain for my shift kit since I was putting it on a fat bike. (Mongoose Dolomite) I've seen a few other build videos and no one seems to be using a 415 H chain on theirs. Anyone here have any personal experience they can share?

View attachment 104876

The 41 chain is 1/4 inch between the plates, the 415 is 3/16. This means if your sprocket is 3/16 inch thick either chain will work.
The sprockets that come with the shift kit are actually thinner than bike sprockets. They told me I needed the 415 H specifically because I have a fat tire bike. Basically insinuating that a normal chain wasn't tough enough to use, not that it wouldn't fit. I kind of felt like I was just being sold something more expensive to be honest.

I am attempting to building a Mongoose Malus , Bike Berry engine with a jack shaft kit from Sick Bike parts and nothing is working out like I was told that it was suppose to from Bike berry or Sick Bike Parts ---- it is really looking like it going to turn into a waste of money

I am attempting to building a Mongoose Malus , Bike Berry engine with a jack shaft kit from Sick Bike parts and nothing is working out like I was told that it was suppose to from Bike berry or Sick Bike Parts ---- it is really looking like it going to turn into a waste of money
Fishflies... not sure if you know about this.... sickbikeparts has recently made available a rear motor mount for 8 mm stud engines. This part did not exist when I bought my kit. There original mount was intended for engines with 6 mm studs. I modified my mount to accommodate the larger studs and nuts. I'm no expert (this is my first build) but I am doing a Youtube series on my build. You may want to check it out. I will start filming the assembly and test fitting of the shift kit in the coming weeks.

Here is a link to the playlist so far: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFR5DJRYZt2CAnVrr4gjFDcFqjEkWPo5k

Once I have finished the entire build I am going to make a video explaining all the steps in the sickbikeparts instructions.

yes , I knew about the 8mm kit and with the help of Jim from Sick Bike I ordered it as per his link , here is the strange thing , the kit came with the 8 mm bolts , one was a Allen headed bolt and the other hex head , but they didn't fit the bracket , I had to use a die grinder and enlarge the holes

Will certainly check out your build ----

I was messing around with my build some this morning , the upgraded banana style muffler won't work , a stock muffler fits , might have to do something custom , same with the upgraded head , it won't work , the Sick mount is as far as it can go forward and the jack shaft is 1/8inch from being against the seat post and the 17 tooth gear still hits the tire by just a tad ---- I have a couple of gears ordered , a 14 and a 13 tooth ------------

used the speed chart up above and it doesn't really take into effect the two gears on the foot pedal crank , but with out those gears in the calculation , it has it at 76 mph in high and 44 in low , wonder if it is going to have any low end at all after switching from 17 to 14 teeth ----maybe changing the crank gear would do it justice

yes , I knew about the 8mm kit and with the help of Jim from Sick Bike I ordered it as per his link , here is the strange thing , the kit came with the 8 mm bolts , one was a Allen headed bolt and the other hex head , but they didn't fit the bracket , I had to use a die grinder and enlarge the holes

Will certainly check out your build ----

I was messing around with my build some this morning , the upgraded banana style muffler won't work , a stock muffler fits , might have to do something custom , same with the upgraded head , it won't work , the Sick mount is as far as it can go forward and the jack shaft is 1/8inch from being against the seat post and the 17 tooth gear still hits the tire by just a tad ---- I have a couple of gears ordered , a 14 and a 13 tooth ------------

used the speed chart up above and it doesn't really take into effect the two gears on the foot pedal crank , but with out those gears in the calculation , it has it at 76 mph in high and 44 in low , wonder if it is going to have any low end at all after switching from 17 to 14 teeth ----maybe changing the crank gear would do it justice
Did you buy the 8" rod to replace the normal one? You will also need the 5/8" lock collar.

Yes , I have the 5/8 x 8 inch shaft and the 5/8 collar --------

I started a thread on my Mongoose Malus

I tried to locate your build video and it says it is hidden at the moment

Yes , I have the 5/8 x 8 inch shaft and the 5/8 collar --------

I started a thread on my Mongoose Malus

I tried to locate your build video and it says it is hidden at the moment
Not sure why it would show as hidden. Here is the playlist once again: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFR5DJRYZt2CAnVrr4gjFDcFqjEkWPo5k

Not sure why it would show as hidden. Here is the playlist once again: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFR5DJRYZt2CAnVrr4gjFDcFqjEkWPo5k
I tried your link again today and was able to go thru your videos , I had seen most of them already from doing searches on You-Tube

One thing I noticed that could have saved you a lot of work , where you grinded the Sick bike jacket shaft bracket for the wrench to fit in on the hex headed bolts , I used Allen headed pan head bolts , they are hardened bolts , able to use a 1/4 inch drive Allen socket and an extension and get to them

Cool how you done the videos , I tried my hand a few times as uploading videos and it takes for ever ---- loading to You-Tube takes so long for me as we have DSL internet at the moment ------ How long did it take you to upload say one of your 15 minute videos ? I did a 30 second video and it took an hour

got a cable being buried this month and they say the speed will be 10 times faster , hope to have some videos in the future ----

Back